Machine shed ideas

/ Machine shed ideas #1  

BruceS_55

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK25
I'm just purchasing 10 acres of mostly forested land in Missouri. I will need a tractor for clearing land, grading, mowing, etc. But first I need somewhere to store it as there are no buildings on the property. I'm looking for plans for a machine shed I can buy/build to store a compact tractor and attachments in that won't break the bank. Our plan is to eventually build a shouse in which I will store my tractor. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks.

/ Machine shed ideas #2  
25 years ago we put a 40' shipping container down on railroad ties to store the tractor and mowers. It has worked out great over the years, although my 7 year old cab tractor doesn't fit height wise.

If I were to do it over again, I would get a high cube with doors on both ends.

/ Machine shed ideas #3  
Here's only pic I can find showing part of one of mine. It's just 2x4 stud walls, simple single slope roof made with 2x4's, strapped with one inch then the metal roofing. I never measured inside width, but it is 16 foot lumber on roof and it's 26 feet long. Then just used scrap cedar slabs for siding. Was nice and cheap to build. Then added another lean to on it to display my Allis. All of it just sitting on cement patio slabs.
Been through a few Canadian winters where we get 13.5 feet annual snow fall, no issues.

I also use a sea can for another tractor. It works well too.

Attachments

• 101_5498.JPG
    101_5498.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 124
   / Machine shed ideas
Thanks for the ideas. I hadn’t even thought about a container. Paystar, I like the look of the cedar logs on your shed.

/ Machine shed ideas #7  
I was in the same situation back in 2021 and I was going to use two 20 ft containers spread about 20 ft apart and then put a roof on it. Eventually I would enclose the entire thing.

I started pricing used containers and they were asking €1500 for a single 20 ft container, so I decided to play with the idea of making a metal building from scratch. Long story short, after finding some good deals on used materials, I managed to build a nice metal building out of mostly used materials with a lot more usable space for less than it would've cost me for just two containers, let alone a roof or sides to enclose them.

I built in my home propriety and then took everything apart and hauled it to the remote propriety about 45 miles North. It still needs painting and the open spots above the door has been since closed with clear panels.

IMG_20211014_184835.jpg
IMG_20211118_160823.jpg

/ Machine shed ideas #8  
that won't break the bank
How big is the bank?

A pair of containers, concrete pad in the middle, plus truss roof system =pretty nice setup.

A pair of 40' high cube containers is running about $5K before being delivered, concrete (plus prep) isn't cheap, then throw in the roof and your probably at $10K.

/ Machine shed ideas #9  
Where are you located? Around me you cannot compete with the Amish for shed building. There must be a dozen Amish shed builders within 25 miles of me.

/ Machine shed ideas #10  
Where are you located? Around me you cannot compete with the Amish for shed building. There must be a dozen Amish shed builders within 25 miles of me.
10 acres of mostly forested land in Missouri.
Remember a lot of people think giving out their location is like giving out their bank info.