Magic steel

/ Magic steel #11  
off the wall I know...but is it possible that decaying organic matter (methane) under the bars was displacing/reducing the oxygen around the bars?

/ Magic steel #12  
It is just the mill scale that is covering it. It resist rust pretty well, but it will rust in wet or salty conditions.

/ Magic steel #13  
It is just the mill scale that is covering it. It resist rust pretty well, but it will rust in wet or salty conditions.

It does look like the gray scale you get when you heat steel to the red/yellow range for forging, although I've never tested it's rust resistance properties, it makes sense since that's just really accellerated corrosion anyway...

/ Magic steel
It's not coated rebar. I've built over $500 million worth of schools and I'm pretty sure I've seen it a time or 2. The bar was mostly exposed with just a little of blow sand over parts of it. No nearby vegetation. I concur that the mill scale has probably protected it except where the blow sand has sand blasted it off. Lots of wind out here.

Of course, with only 0.77" of rain last year, there is not much to get rust started. Strangely enough, there is a third length from the same build that is completely rusted. It was laying in an area of high clay content which may have held more moisture.

/ Magic steel
As far as the zinc chromate coating used on rebar (yellow/green coating), it is usually placed over rebar that has been galvanized for use in bridges and other public works projects. The zinc chromate is there to protect the galvanizing from the corrosive salts in concrete.

/ Magic steel #16  
it may have something to do with your location.... :)
Hello Mojave! Yes, it may have something to do with your, um, location.:D Plus, if you ever did get some moisture, I'm sure the wind would move it along just fine. :laughing:

/ Magic steel #17  
29 Palms flashback - Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Ok, sorry about that, had to get that out of my system. Desert aint kind to a boy from the Mississippi River delta region of Arkansas, I kind of like water and humidity. Heat aint the bother but dry don't suit me.

/ Magic steel
29 Palms flashback - Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Ok, sorry about that, had to get that out of my system. Desert aint kind to a boy from the Mississippi River delta region of Arkansas, I kind of like water and humidity. Heat aint the bother but dry don't suit me.

My wife, a retired navy Captain previously stationed at Naval Hospital 29P, noted that about half the staff absolutely hated the desert, the other half absolutely loved it. There wasn't much middle ground.

We loved it so we stayed in the desert after she retired. I lived about 25 years in San Diego and she did a couple of tours in SD and one at Camp Pendleton (Oceanside) before we came to the desert.

/ Magic steel #19  
My wife, a retired navy Captain previously stationed at Naval Hospital 29P, noted that about half the staff absolutely hated the desert, the other half absolutely loved it. There wasn't much middle ground.

We loved it so we stayed in the desert after she retired. I lived about 25 years in San Diego and she did a couple of tours in SD and one at Camp Pendleton (Oceanside) before we came to the desert.
I can certainly understand that, different strokes for different folks and desert is not the stroke for me or maybe I would have a stroke if I lived in the desert.

/ Magic steel #20  
7 years out in the open.

How long do you think the basic gray manufacturer coating would last?

They are already starting to rust out of the steel mill.