Magnesium repair

/ Magnesium repair
You may want to look up AZ61A to tig that part. ( if you'r sure it's Magnesium ) I used to sell the AZ61A and AZ92A but the 62 was much more popular and a bit higher strength. I would think you could talk a welding supply out of a stick if you have a relationship there. For your thin application you can just use pure argon. Good Luck !
I found a small quantity of AZ61A on ebay for $35, I think I'll take it on as a challenge.

/ Magnesium repair #12  
I found a small quantity of AZ61A on ebay for $35, I think I'll take it on as a challenge.

Wow, Stuff is getting spendy. Must be tariff sensitive. Glad to hear you are taking it on. The only things to really know are keep a tight arc, clean rod with a scotch brite pad and stainless brush the crap out of the part. Good Luck !!

/ Magnesium repair #13  

That's the spirit. Be sure to report back on how it goes. :thumbsup:

/ Magnesium repair #14  
I'll often fit the cracked part together, clamp it as tight as possible. then use a course carbide burr to make a few divots right on the crack and weld those full as your tacks. Next I cut out sections with the carbide burr and weld them full. Thick areas can be built up in layers, you don't need a really wide groove, adjust the stick out to get down in deep areas.

Acetone can help with cleaning. Use a new stainless brush that you use for only mag welding. Sanding parts will make welding a real pain, the grit gets in the surface and messes with the puddle. Bright metal that is oil free is what you want.

/ Magnesium repair #15  
Wow, Stuff is getting spendy. Must be tariff sensitive. Glad to hear you are taking it on. The only things to really know are keep a tight arc, clean rod with a scotch brite pad and stainless brush the crap out of the part. Good Luck !!

Tight arc is no joke, it looked like I had the tungsten buried in the puddle - but no "zap" like with aluminum.

/ Magnesium repair #16  
Tight arc is no joke, it looked like I had the tungsten buried in the puddle - but no "zap" like with aluminum.

Yeah it's like the tungsten was unaffected by touching the magnesium. I haven't done a lot of it but I remember accidentally touching the tungsten like I always do and nothing really happened. Kind of a grubby looking bead when completed.

/ Magnesium repair #17  
I have welded magnesium wheels, engine cases and even an old chainsaw case.

The filler will oxidize black over time, I just scotch bright it shiny before I use it. Everything needs to be very clean just like aluminum and even then, sometimes, I get a little white 努eb like one might see if they don稚 get all of the galvanize off steel and weld it.

/ Magnesium repair #18  
Did you go the other route and try to find a new guard ? Or find a similar saw used on flea bay or craig list .:drink:

/ Magnesium repair
Did you go the other route and try to find a new guard ? Or find a similar saw used on flea bay or craig list .:drink:

New parts aren't available, but there are plenty of used saws on ebay that I can cannibalize if I want to. I've got a call into porter cable to try to find out what alloy the guard is made of. Since winter's coming I'll have more indoor time, I'll probably try the weld just for the heck of it and then order a used saw for parts if I screw it up.

/ Magnesium repair #20  
New parts aren't available, but there are plenty of used saws on ebay that I can cannibalize if I want to. I've got a call into porter cable to try to find out what alloy the guard is made of. Since winter's coming I'll have more indoor time, I'll probably try the weld just for the heck of it and then order a used saw for parts if I screw it up.
Sounds like what my plan would typically be for something like this.