Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #41  
For moveable lights the magnets are an excellent solution! I really like the idea but wondering about magnetic interference... maybe no issue... not my expertise.

If a stronger and more permanent solution is desired I suggest you look into Click Bond adhesive bonded fasteners. These are serious structural fasteners used extensively by our military for a variety of applications far more intense then this. One thing that adhesive bonding does is isolate dissimilar metals thus no rust will occur. Full disclosure... I work for Click Bond but I only want to help fellow tractor owners with their mods. Our business is aerospace/military and I get no compensation for this type of promotion... not our market. That said, be glad to help with your mods on tractors installing systems without drilling or welding. I have posted a few threads on mods I have done on my BX using CB fasteners, LED lights, side view mirrors, and auxiliary storage boxes. I hope I haven't offended anyone by chiming in here.

I am a retired electronics engineer -- No, there is no problem of 'magnetic interference' with these mounts. Not sure what sort of interference you might have wondered about. Interference to the mount itself or interference by it to adjacent gadgets? Any permanent magnet hanging tightly to a large piece of metal (like the ROPS) is harmless to the surrounding gadgets and impervious to external influences. The magnetic field is very localized in that situation.

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #42  
This darn thread just cost me another $80. I went back to CMS and duped my first order because my son has "borrowed" the magnets I bought to hold led's to attach to a bar and uses a a magnetic sweep.

I also bought a bunch of little ring magnets to use as "fishing" magnets to find dropped screws etc. Only 27 cents each.

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #43  
Thanks, CM. Yep, snows in KY! Nothing like VT, but just enough to need to plow a handful of times each season. A 6" snow is a pretty good snow around here.

Here are Amazon links:

Lights - Amazon.com: Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black): Automotive
Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black)

Magnets - Master Magnetics RB50CX6 Round Base Magnet Fastener with 0.197" Center Hole Chrome Plate, 2.04" Diameter, 0.302" Thick, 35 Pounds, Silver (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Master Magnetics RB50CX6 Round Base Magnet Fastener with 0.197" Center Hole Chrome Plate, 2.04" Diameter, 0.302" Thick, 35 Pounds, Silver (Pack of 6)

This idea and information motivated me to rig up ROPS lights for my Massey. Since the 2" magnets come in a set of six, I decided to just use two 2" magnets for each lamp which gives a wider footprint and more magnet-rops contact. I just used some metal strap I had to create the base as shown in the pics. This also gives a slight bit more height which allows full downward angle of lamps. For the switch, I decided to just use one of the remaining magnets as a base and mounted a simple toggle switch with plastic weld adhesive. Now all the components can be adjusted for position and easily removed. I plan to only use for winter plowing as I get into the woods quite a bit during summer and just don't need lights with the longer days. Thanks much for all the information and input on this idea. I love the magnetic aspect for the ROPS. I got both lights for $15 on Amazon.
IMG_20161230_172004.jpgIMG_20161230_171922.jpgIMG_20161229_110843.jpgIMG_20161229_110714.jpg

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #44  
This idea and information motivated me to rig up ROPS lights for my Massey. Since the 2" magnets come in a set of six, I decided to just use two 2" magnets for each lamp which gives a wider footprint and more magnet-rops contact.<snip>

Do the magnets with a mere 35 lb pull do the job well?

The neodymium ones I've been buying from CMS are rated for 112 lb pull but are only 1.6" diameter.

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #45  
No issues so far. Very strong contact. A wider surface area and two magnets reduces the possibility of breaking the hold (my theory).

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS
In year 2 now with the magnet mounted lights. I've found that I tend to leave them on the inside of the ROPS frame most of the time. Intended to leave them on the outside for greater light coverage but I just don't notice a difference and they don't get caught on branches on the inside.

One problem is that the magnets are starting to rust where they contact the ROPS. They hold really tightly so they scratch the paint a little. I plan to try to put a thin rubber membrane between the magnet and ROPS to solve this issue. Still really pleased with the setup.