Magnetic block heater mounting?

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #11  
I'd suggest you get your glow plugs working, have good batteries, good lift pump, clean fuel, and forget the magnetic heater. 400 watts isn't doing much anyways.

I've got a '95 Chev with 6.5 (couple hundred thousand miles) and it fires right off after the GP light goes out (about 10 seconds).

When you get your truck running correctly and you won't need the heater.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #12  
How much engine oil does the truck hold? 6-7 quarts?

When turned off, isn't all the oil in the lower sump part of the pan?

/ Magnetic block heater mounting?
How much engine oil does the truck hold? 6-7 quarts?

When turned off, isn't all the oil in the lower sump part of the pan?

That's the part I was worried about. I've come to the conclusion that it probably is.

I'd suggest you get your glow plugs working, have good batteries, good lift pump, clean fuel, and forget the magnetic heater. 400 watts isn't doing much anyways.

I've got a '95 Chev with 6.5 (couple hundred thousand miles) and it fires right off after the GP light goes out (about 10 seconds).

When you get your truck running correctly and you won't need the heater.

The truck will start ( 20F is as cold as it's been this year). It just doesn't like it very much.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #15  
My experience is that a magnetic heater is at its best to maybe heat your door lock or the door handle on your tractor door (providing it is steel).
OK they are as advertised, (like 400 watts) but nowhere do they mention and facts about heat rise or engine starting.
I once installed 2 on my 20 HP tractor and left then on for 24 hrs with no improvement whatsoever, IMHO all they do is heat the air and cost U kilowatt hours.
OK, perhaps they work on a small, like 40 CC chainsaw (with a ferrous crankcase) but then what small engine has a steel crank case?

The only success I have had was to heat my snowblower electric rotating motor as the grease would gell and prevent rotation.

Use a good block heater or even a hose re circulation device as they do work.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #16  
Even if the engine will start without use of the block heater . Beat to preheat anyways as the fast start and warm components reduces wear on both electrical and mechanical. Having a working defroster sooner is another bonous.

I moved the the magnetic heater to the bottom of the pan. In the process I noticed my truck has a real block heater already installed. Anyone think that the magnetic heater would at least warm the oil or is it a complete waste?

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #18  
Use that block heater you just discovered and leave it at that. It should do a fine job! I never plug mine in and the engine fires right off. I have my snow blade mounted on it, so it better!

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #19  
People that built the truck put in a block heater for a reason. Use it. You will be pleasantly surprised. Some of the people who made your truck spent a great deal on their education use their smarts.

/ Magnetic block heater mounting? #20  
We had a 2002 TDI Jetta. All it had was an oil pan warmer. It worked quite fine and did what was needed. One winter we discovered it wasn't working when the temperature dropped to -28C/-18F. If you mount it on the side of the oil pan it will warm your oil. I'm not sure what you can do to make sure it doesn't fall off. The rubber one on our Jetta was glued on with red high temperature silicone.