Magnetic Heater for tranny or engine block?

/ Magnetic Heater for tranny or engine block? #11  
These things have to get much hotter than you would like because the thermal connection between the heater and whatever it is they are trying to heat is very poor. When two flat surfaces contact each other, only three tiny points are in contact with each other. Everything else is out of contact, in the air. Some kind of thermal grease between the two would help (they do this on heatsinks on PC processors) but I don't know of any for this type of application. For an engine, forget heating the oil--either use a synthetic or heat the coolant. I don't think I've ever heard of preheating hydraulic fluid--there may be a reason for that.

/ Magnetic Heater for tranny or engine block? #12  
cp1969 said:
These things have to get much hotter than you would like because the thermal connection between the heater and whatever it is they are trying to heat is very poor. When two flat surfaces contact each other, only three tiny points are in contact with each other. Everything else is out of contact, in the air. Some kind of thermal grease between the two would help (they do this on heatsinks on PC processors) but I don't know of any for this type of application. For an engine, forget heating the oil--either use a synthetic or heat the coolant. I don't think I've ever heard of preheating hydraulic fluid--there may be a reason for that.

Severial of the larger NH tractors have an optional hyd oil heater/temp maintainer that is right in the bottom of the rear axle housing. The Bi Directional tractors have one as standard equipment.

/ Magnetic Heater for tranny or engine block? #13  
I use a lower hose heater for the engine and a magnetic heater on the base of my steel fuel tank. If using a magnetic heater make sure to remove it and not just unplug it. I made that mistake once and didn't find it till spring. The magnet wasn't strong enough to stay on the tractor while plowing a rough frozen gravel driveway.

/ Magnetic Heater for tranny or engine block? #14  
I'm in the process of buying a M5040 4wd Kuboto. My sales rep said to use a mag. block heater for the engine. He said to heat up the tranny oil they make up a hydro. hose to plug in the rear remotes so to make a full oil loop and let the tractor run for a while. That way the friction of the oil heats up the oil.