Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes...

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #1  

RobJordan

Gentlemen:

To my surprise I learned today that the Mahindra 3015 does not exert down pressure with the lift arms of the 3-pt hitch [do any of these small tractors?]

This presents a problem when drilling post holes in hard dirt because I can't get enough weight/downward pressure to force the auger to bite into the hard soil. All it does is ride on top of the ground or perhaps drill only a foot or so.

Seems to be that there are two possible solutions: [1] I could weld a fixture onto the top of the post hole auger hangar and put 500 lbs [or more] of weigh onto it; [2] I could splice a hydraulic ram into the top link and force the post hole auger into the hard ground with hydraulic pressure.

Any suggestions? Sure am dissapointed that the little Mahindra does not have downward hydraulic pressure in the lift arms. All it does is rely on gravity to float the implement to zero elevation. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Jordan

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sure am dissapointed that the little Mahindra does not have downward hydraulic pressure in the lift arms. All it does is rely on gravity to float the implement to zero elevation. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif )</font>

I'm not aware of any compact tractors that have down pressure on the 3 point hitch

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #3  
They make a attachment called a POWER DOWN to solve this problem . A friend has one and swears by it on his PHD . I have not seen it yet so I do not know exactly how it works . I believe it is a hyd. ram which helps put power down on the three point somehow .
Allen

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #4  
Most brands of PHD's have an optional power-down kit as already stated, and I agree that no small tractors have power-down on the three-point.

Make sure you have a good auger bit with good teeth, and just because it is new doesn't mean it is good. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Of course even a great bit won't work well in hard packed completely dry summer soil.

A hydraulically driven FEL mounted post hole digger is a nice way to go as you have down pressure, plus the auger can be reversed if needed and you are working out in front of you. The only down side is that they are expensive. Such is life.

The 3015HST is a great tractor, I hope you enjoy it.

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #5  
My PHD has a large upside down hook on the back of the gear box. It's listed as a place to hang weights. Does yours have such a hook? When drilling the 3000 12" holes I did this spring, I hooked a 100 lb Olympic cast iron weight over the hook from my gym. That did the trick fine. I was surprised how much the additional 100 pounds made. It's a rather crude way to get down force, but a cheap and effective way. By the way, my PHD is the cheap Lienbach 7400. I had to give it a small plug because I abused the heck out of it, and only managed to break the auger. The original auger was sort of flimsey anyway; that's what I keep telling myself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck!

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #6  
Rob, a couple things. Check your auger bit to make sure it is good and CLEAN. I've found that grass & debris can wind around the cutting point and reduce the effectiveness of the auger bit substantially, bad enough to make it impossible to drill a hole. Like Dargo, I use a cheap PHD, mine has a bar on the top for manual downpressure and precise positioning. It is nothing more than a 3' long handle. I've only used it to push down a couple times, but it is effective. I find the most effective thing to drilling (even in hard packed dry summer clay) is to make sure the bit end in clean of debris and the pilot point and initial cutting edges are aligned and in good shape (they don't have to be sharp, but they have to be aimed/aligned correctly).

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes... #7  
The only modern tractor I know of that comes with down pressure is the Belarus. A friend of mine owns one, and folded his PHD up like an accordian when he exerted too much down pressure on the PHD in hard packed clay.

Most of the people I know use a spud bar and apply the down pressure manually.

/ Mahindra 3015 and problems drilling post holes...
Thanks everyone for the excellent advise.

Jordan