Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800)

/ Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800) #1  

InTheMoHills

Tractor
Still Lookin
Im looking to purchase a tractor that will be used for a bit of everything on a hilly and woodsy homestead.

- 4WD - Heavy, Wide, Stable
- HST
- FEL - with 3rd function
- 40+ PTO HP to run a decent Brush Hog and my Chipper Shredder
- solid backhoe that will be used for digging stumps, laying blocks, relocating rocks and general property maintenance

So what I really would like is a Mahindra 6035 (tier 3) with a 75B BH... which they never made. Or perhaps a 3560 which they still dont make. Ok how about a 3550 which they downgraded to the 65B BH.

I have also looked at the Kubota MX5800 with BH92.

What would you suggest? What tractors have I overlooked?

/ Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800) #2  
Just as a frame of reference, I bought a Kubota slightly smaller than an MX5800, with backhoe, and used it for more than 15 years doing everything you described on a "hilly and woodsy" place. Virtually no repairs or downtime and later sold it for more than 2/3 of original cost when it was no longer needed. Did all I expected and more. Going in, I saw lots of decent equipment out there, but concluded it's hard to beat Kubota engineering, build quality and dependability. The tractor didn't disappoint.

/ Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800)
Here on the farm I had my money on the M Series Kubotas. I do like the orange tractors but everything I currently have is jsut too big for the new place. Somewhere deep down I know the mx5800 will do everything I need but the Mahindra 3550 tempts you with the better FEL, the HST pedals, heavier weight and that low and wide stance. If Mahindra had a 35 series 60 Hp with the better 75B backhoe I would go that route... but I will likely end up with the mx5800. I have seen a few pretty good package deals on the 5800 too.

/ Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800) #4  
I have the Mahindra 5035... That would be essentially the older model of the 3550. Same reasons that I bought it. Heavy, wide. With filled tires, it is a beast. I have a grapple that I use hard. It is amazing what I can lift. The only thing I can't help you with is the backhoe. I need to mow with it too much to want to have to take a hoe on and off. My Landpride FM-4188 lives on there most of the time. great mower, great counterweight!

/ Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800) #5  
In the end, you should buy what suits your preferences, not someone else's. Your money and your seat time. There's lots of good equipment out there and it would be hard to get a "bad" model if you stay with the major brands. I had a great experience as a Kubota owner but there are plenty of folks who like their Mahindra's. Mahindra seems to offer a mixture of their own plus re-labelled Korean and Japanese models, generally with a "value" price point, maybe not quite as refined as something from one of the premium brands. There are some really good Mahindra dealers, and some that are pretty green to the tractor business, which is pretty typical for a non-US company still getting established in the US market.

/ Mahindra 3560 w 75B BH (3550 vs MX5800) #6  
My Kubota MX is a beast itself... The turbo also makes a ton of difference. I loaded my tires, added wheel weights , and it made a huge improvement. Here in SW VA, it's as hilly as it gets, and my MX is a perfect match. Also, IMO, with the Kubota, you get a Kubota. View attachment 525675

I have the Mahindra 5035... That would be essentially the older model of the 3550. Same reasons that I bought it. Heavy, wide. With filled tires, it is a beast. I have a grapple that I use hard. It is amazing what I can lift. The only thing I can't help you with is the backhoe. I need to mow with it too much to want to have to take a hoe on and off. My Landpride FM-4188 lives on there most of the time. great mower, great counterweight!

The 5035 is missing all that mess under the hood!!!

I pretty much always have an Alamo SHD 88 on the back of my current kubota and I love the Flail. How does your do with the 40hp PTO?

In the end, you should buy what suits your preferences, not someone else's. Your money and your seat time.

Isnt this site pretty much all about sharing experiences and opinions? And this forum specifically for the comparison of tractors to help each other make good decisions?

I reckon if I lived somewhere that you could easily find and drive every 40-60 hp 4wd HST tractor then I would have no need to ask for opinions.... but that inst the case so here I am.

Also, IMO, with the Kubota, you get a Kubota. View attachment 525675

I know what you mean. The Mahindra being a bit down on HP and the Kubota being a Kubota are exactly what is complicating the decision.

I am not in a huge hurry so Ill probably let the local dealers know what Im looking for and start keeping an eye on ads and auctions. Sometimes a great deal is the deciding factor.

Would a Kubota L5740 HST best either of these options???

Would there be any downside to the L5740 compared to the mx5800 and 3550?