Mahindra 3616 won't start

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #1  

sfstaggs1

Tractor
Mahindra 3616
I have a Mahindra 3616 that won't start. When you turn the key to fire up the glow plugs, I get a buzzing sound. When I turn the key to start, it doesn't do anything other than go silent...no clicks or anything. I was thinking it might be the glow plug controller but I really have no idea. The battery is fully charged so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #2  
What’s the age of the tractor and is it stored outside in the weather or in a barn? If you let the glow plug time out and then try to engage the starter does it turn over? If so, you might try spraying contact cleaner into the ignition switch and then give it time to dry out and try starting again. I recently had to replace the ignition switch on my 4035 as it would not reliably engage the starter.

Other option is to test the starter by providing power more directly to check the solenoid, pinion gear, and armature shaft are working properly.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 3616 won't start #3  
Saying the battery is fully charged is not the same as saying it's a good battery. It would be a good idea to have the battery load tested. Clean the battery terminals and the clamps that attach to the battery. Tighten them. Clean the point where the ground cable connects to the frame. Examine battery cables for signs of corrosion. When this is all done begin troubleshooting.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #4  
Saying the battery is fully charged is not the same as saying it's a good battery. It would be a good idea to have the battery load tested. Clean the battery terminals and the clamps that attach to the battery. Tighten them. Clean the point where the ground cable connects to the frame. Examine battery cables for signs of corrosion. When this is all done begin troubleshooting.

I agree. I tried starting my 2816 a while back. On turning the key a loud clicking/grinding noise would happen sometimes, while the dash lights flickered. Next turn it might do the same, or just go dead after warming the glow-plugs and turning the key. I had the battery on an intelligent charger, showing good charge. But in the end, it was a bad battery. Once the new battery was on, it would start up perfect. I had the plastic under the steering wheel taken off just to see what was making the noise to contact the dealer. But all it was, was the battery.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #5  
I agree. I tried starting my 2816 a while back. On turning the key a loud clicking/grinding noise would happen sometimes, while the dash lights flickered. Next turn it might do the same, or just go dead after warming the glow-plugs and turning the key. I had the battery on an intelligent charger, showing good charge. But in the end, it was a bad battery. Once the new battery was on, it would start up perfect. I had the plastic under the steering wheel taken off just to see what was making the noise to contact the dealer. But all it was, was the battery.

Perhaps I should have not assumed that the basics had already been tried. :shocked: