Mahindra 4110 questions-

/ Mahindra 4110 questions- #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
Well, I've been looking to add a tractor to the fleet for a little while, had considered a larger Mahindra, and now I've settled on a 4110. Partly because it's basically the same size as my Kioti DK45 and partly because I found one locally for sale at a reasonable price.

I went to go look at it this past weekend, which was about 25 degrees F, and I asked the seller if he wouldn't mind waiting to start it until I got there. He said no problem. It was setting outside, but under a tarp, and there was no way he had started it before I got there, because we had to crack the ice off the tarp! Anyway, after getting it uncovered, he put the key in and glow plugged it and it fired right up. We looked around it for a while waiting for it to warm up, then I climbed into the seat and gave her a go around the yard (in the snow). Everything seems to work fine. The only problems are bent line on the front end loader (loader still works fine) and the combination switch on the dashboard is missing. Other than that, it's in really good shape (about 1200 hours on it).

A couple of questions I would like to pose to 4110 owners (and maybe other Mahindra's are like this too):

1. Hydraulic clutch - this is the first time I've ever used a vehicle with a hydraulic clutch. The feel of pressing it is a little different than a normal clutch - is that to be expected? Seems to work fine, just feels different.

2. Engine oil - the manual states to use 10W-30 (for the most part - it lists single weight oil as well). I'm assuming this is correct, but I just find it odd because it has a Daedong (Kioti) engine in it, and my Kioti manual for the DK45 says to use a 15W-40. Are you guys using 10W-30? That's my plan unless someone were to convince me otherwise.

3. Hydraulic filter - are there two? There is a spin on filter on top of the rear left axle housing, and that one makes sense. The manual indicates there is another filter on the other side - maybe a removable or cleanable screen? Can any one off any insight on that? Also on that subject, when I look up Mahindra parts online, there are two spin-on hydraulic filters, one that is much more expensive than the other. What's the difference?

4. Any junk 4110's out there? Or possibly the sister version (3510?). I would like to find a replacement combination switch. They look to be available as new online (about $80). If that's my only choice, that's what I'll go with. I've checked a couple of tractor salvage yards without any luck - didn't know if anybody had any ideas on that.

5. Parts/Service Manuals - I see these available, and kind of pricey. Does anybody have them and can you tell me if they are, in your opinion, worth the money?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions once I get into it, but thought I might see what you guys know about the questions above.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck and take care.

/ Mahindra 4110 questions- #2  
Well, I've been looking to add a tractor to the fleet for a little while, had considered a larger Mahindra, and now I've settled on a 4110. Partly because it's basically the same size as my Kioti DK45 and partly because I found one locally for sale at a reasonable price.

I went to go look at it this past weekend, which was about 25 degrees F, and I asked the seller if he wouldn't mind waiting to start it until I got there. He said no problem. It was setting outside, but under a tarp, and there was no way he had started it before I got there, because we had to crack the ice off the tarp! Anyway, after getting it uncovered, he put the key in and glow plugged it and it fired right up. We looked around it for a while waiting for it to warm up, then I climbed into the seat and gave her a go around the yard (in the snow). Everything seems to work fine. The only problems are bent line on the front end loader (loader still works fine) and the combination switch on the dashboard is missing. Other than that, it's in really good shape (about 1200 hours on it).

A couple of questions I would like to pose to 4110 owners (and maybe other Mahindra's are like this too):

1. Hydraulic clutch - this is the first time I've ever used a vehicle with a hydraulic clutch. The feel of pressing it is a little different than a normal clutch - is that to be expected? Seems to work fine, just feels different.

2. Engine oil - the manual states to use 10W-30 (for the most part - it lists single weight oil as well). I'm assuming this is correct, but I just find it odd because it has a Daedong (Kioti) engine in it, and my Kioti manual for the DK45 says to use a 15W-40. Are you guys using 10W-30? That's my plan unless someone were to convince me otherwise.

3. Hydraulic filter - are there two? There is a spin on filter on top of the rear left axle housing, and that one makes sense. The manual indicates there is another filter on the other side - maybe a removable or cleanable screen? Can any one off any insight on that? Also on that subject, when I look up Mahindra parts online, there are two spin-on hydraulic filters, one that is much more expensive than the other. What's the difference?

4. Any junk 4110's out there? Or possibly the sister version (3510?). I would like to find a replacement combination switch. They look to be available as new online (about $80). If that's my only choice, that's what I'll go with. I've checked a couple of tractor salvage yards without any luck - didn't know if anybody had any ideas on that.

5. Parts/Service Manuals - I see these available, and kind of pricey. Does anybody have them and can you tell me if they are, in your opinion, worth the money?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions once I get into it, but thought I might see what you guys know about the questions above.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck and take care.

1st, the clutch is not hydraulic. 2nd, I use 15w40 Mahindra oil in the 4110s. 3rd, the early 4110s had a spin on hyd filter on the left side above the rear axil, a large cartridge filter in the suction line on the right side below your right foot, and a filter screen in the bottom of the rear housing, that is removed on the left side. Later they did away with the spin on filter on the left side, and after that they changed from the right side cartridge filter to a spin on in the same location. 4th, I think it will be highly unlikely that you will find any used parts for a 4110, but it can't hurt to ask.

/ Mahindra 4110 questions-
So the clutch is not hydraulic? The local Mahindra dealer, the previous owner and the manual all say that it is a hydraulic clutch, but I haven't actually looked at the mechanism. I'm going to go pick the tractor up tomorrow, so after I get it home I'll check it out.

What drives the decision to use 15w-40 vs. 10w-30?

The manual that came with the tractor and the serial number of the tractor indicate it is a later model (with new sheet metal), but the location of the filters indicate an early model. Any other way to tell which is model it is (early or late?)

Thanks for the help. Take care.

Re-read my last post and just want to let you know that I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out what the answer is and why I'm getting different responses. I really appreciate any information that I get and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thankgs again.

/ Mahindra 4110 questions- #5  
There is an electric over hydraulic clutch that operates the independent PTO, but the main clutch is mechanical. As to the age of the tractor there were some of what they call old sheetmetal models, but I became a dealer in 2001 and have never seen one of them. I believe they dropped the upper left hydraulic filter in 2003 or 2004. The oil, I have always used 15W40 in them with no ill effects. I hope this helps.

Good news - I've got the tractor home. However, it was right at dark last night, so I didn't get to do to much - plus it was about 20 degrees, so I wasn't going to spend too much time outside. The primary operator of the tractor is likely to be my son (13 years old) when we are doing hay, and he drove it around in the snow for a little while last night, just getting used to the controls. Last summer, he raked with a New Holland 256 rake pulled by our little Yanmar F16D. The Yanmar had (barely) enough power to drag the rake around, but our fields are relatively hilly and have ditches, and the Yanmar does not have a ROPS or seatbelt, so I had to keep a close eye on the boy. Now, we've got a tractor that should be plenty big for raking and it has all the safety features that I was looking for.

The other benefit to this is that I think I should be able to run all of the implements that I run with my DK45, so if I happen to have some kind of breakdown on one tractor, the other tractor ought to be able to fill in.

I probably won't be doing too much with tractor while the weather is still cold, but I plan on giving it a good going over/cleaning/PM so that I can get more familiar with it. I hope that it ends up being as good of a tractor as it appears to be.