Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #1  

Darth_DMack

Silver Member
Tractor
2023 Mahindra 5155
Looking to add an overhead canopy / sunshade to my 5155. Pros vs Cons of Plastic vs Metal. Also, very interested in what you other 5145/5155 owners are using for overhead protection. Mine just has the ROPS, looking to add a canopy overhead as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #2  
Many of us have used a scrap golf cart top, mounted to some type of A frame, bolted or welded to the ROPS.
I did mine for $30. Including the paint. Tough to tell from my pic to the left, but I painted to top white to reflect the sun, and the bottom tractor red. It's a god-send!

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #3  
Many of us have used a scrap golf cart top, mounted to some type of A frame, bolted or welded to the ROPS.
I did mine for $30. Including the paint. Tough to tell from my pic to the left, but I painted to top white to reflect the sun, and the bottom tractor red. It's a god-send!
Here’s my golf cart canopy-canopy
$50 I think

349F22A3-86D2-4272-94CE-77908A9EADCA.jpeg

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #4  
What ever you do, DO NOT weld or drill on the ROPS. Welding and drilling destroys the integrity of the ROPS. Clamp all you want.

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #5  
What ever you do, DO NOT weld or drill on the ROPS. Welding and drilling destroys the integrity of the ROPS. Clamp all you want.
I grabbed some appropriate sized u bolts (more square than U) to go around the tops of my ROPS bar.
Metric bolts sized to some bungs in the lower portion to attach my kicker (3/4” emt) and some 1/4” carriage bolts with washers thru the canopy top. Taken a few branches over the last 2yrs and holding up fine.

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #6  
How do you know?
A few holes in the ROP's tube going to make it fail in a rollover?

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #7  
A ROPS is built, tested, and CERTIFIED as a SAFTEY unit. ANY welding or drilling to the "system" alters the integrity of the system as certified and therefore will void any certification. As such, if there is an issue with rolling the tractor and something were to happen to the operator, the manufacturer would not be libel for any injuries or death.

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #8  
Over time, I could see plastic degrading and becoming brittle due to UV. A metal roof should outlast plastic unless you run into a tree branch and tear the metal. One concern with any of them is whether there are any edges that could hurt you in the event of a rollover.

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade
I humbly appreciate everyone's input to this topic. After much research and speaking to people about canopies, I chose to go with Rhinohyde Tractor Company, and purchase their easy to remove ABS canopy. I watched a ton of videos about this canopy, them hitting it with sledge hammers, shooting it with a shotgun, etc... all kind of crazy stuff, but it's made out of the same plastic commercial dumpster lids are made from.

No ROPS modifications are necessary, easy to install, and very easy to remove for trailering or for confined spaces.

Customer service was absolutely TOP NOTCH, the ordering process consisted of me getting the measurements of my vertical bars on my ROPS, the distance between the bars, and for my 5155 it was 2x4x27 inches. So, their kit will work with ROPS up to 4" deep, with their U Bolts. Any ROPS deeper than 4" needs their "all thread" kit.

When I ordered my canopy, one of the owners of the company is the one that answered the phone. He was very patient, answered all of my questions, and even started off with the "CONS" of their canopy, which I appreciated. He said that their canopy is not the largest out there, and they only come in black. That was the "CONS". The plusses are many. They are darn near indestructible, they are very easy to install, and they are light, so very easy to remove.

Once I receive it, I will take some pictures and detail the installation procedure for you guys.

USA Made, USA Sourced, Small Company with amazing Customer Service. Check them out if you are looking at options.

Cheers!

DMack sends.

/ Mahindra 5155 Canopy / Sunshade #10  
A ROPS is built, tested, and CERTIFIED as a SAFTEY unit. ANY welding or drilling to the "system" alters the integrity of the system as certified and therefore will void any certification. As such, if there is an issue with rolling the tractor and something were to happen to the operator, the manufacturer would not be libel for any injuries or death.
Steel tube won't fail with a few small holes drilled in it. I wouldn't even be afraid of drilling a hole and bolting something in it.
I've designed many of square tube stands and buggies at work and unless you are slicing into the tube or drilling large holes I wouldn't worry about it.