Mahindra diesel blowing smoke but engine won't fire.

/ Mahindra diesel blowing smoke but engine won't fire. #1  

kolkmeyer

Tractor
Mahindra 2015
I have a 20 hp Mahindra diesel that I bought used about 6 months ago with about 400 hours on it. The last several times it was started, the motor started just fine, but it seemed like there was a slightly bigger than usual puff of black smoke from the exhaust just as it fired. Since then, the motor will not even fire. It has a good battery and the starter motor is turning it over at a good pace. It does produce a fair amount of black smoke or diesel vapor from the exhaust as it is turning over. I am not a diesel expert and don't know if that is unusual. There was no water in the glass sediment bowl. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am at a fishing camp and have limited computer access, and apologize if it takes me a while to respond to questions. If a diagnosis would be easier over the phone, feel free to call John at 417-429-3037. Thanks

/ Mahindra diesel blowing smoke but engine won't fire. #2  
Take the air filter off and see if it starts and run, sometimes when filter plugs and won't suck air they tend to blow real black.

/ Mahindra diesel blowing smoke but engine won't fire. #3  
First are you trying to use the glow-plugs to start? Second, do you have any wd-40 to spray into the air cleaner housing, the fine oil can make the engine start on a prime basis.? I have used other brands of light oil in place of it..Be certain of no fuel leak around the fuel bowl, so it cannot suck air, even if it is lightly smoking?