Mowing Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #1  

sammie

Tractor
Mahindra tractor
I have a 2014 Mahindra 6110 with 800 hours on it, that has been over heating every time I cut my grass with my 12 ft. Rhino bush hog. This problem started in the first of July this year when the plastic fan and belt broke for no reason. Right after my dealer replaced the fan and belt I started getting a Squealing sound coming from my AC compressor because the compressor was locking up. If I turned the AC on and off 3 or 4 times the Squealing sound stopped and the AC would work, BUT my tractor would over heat within 30 minutes of grass cutting with the AC on. I always ran my Tractor in Medium and the gear in number 1. I have run my tractor for the past 4 years like this with out it ever over heating. My Dealer told me to run my tractor in Low and number 1 gear till they figure out what is going on with my tractor and its over heating problem. I did as my dealer suggested and ran my tractor in Low and 1, and now it took 40 minutes this time for my tractor over heat again. I found if I run my tractor in neutral at 1700 rpm and with the pto shut off and the ac shut off that I can get the Temperature down from hot to 1/2 in 4 or 5 minutes and I can continue to cut my grass for another 10 minutes before the tractor over heats again. Now out of Frustration I tried something new. I got my tractor temperature back down to 1/2 now, and when I turned the ac on the temp immediately when to 3/4 before I shut the ac off, I did this 4 times and each time it did the same thing, it immediately when from the 1/2 to 3/4 before I would shut the ac off, because if I didn稚 shut the AC off, it go up into the hot. This all happened while my tractor was sitting in neutral. So I thought ok lets try running the tractor with the ac off. I put the tractor back in medium and number 1 in the gears, and I had to open all the windows like I have had to do many times before, but with the ac off I was able to completely cut all 6 acres of grass around my house with the temperature now just below 1/2 and no over heating. I am Sorry for the long post, but I believe my AC compressor is BAD AGAIN? If this AC compressor is bad and this is what is causing my over heating problem, This will make the THIRD AC COMPRESSOR in 4 years that had to be replaced. If any of you think my AC compressor is bad, My Question to you Is this NORMAL for Mahindra tractors to burn up the AC compressors? A new AC compressor is around $700.00 to 800.00 for the compressor alone, not counting labor to put it on. Please Help me, Is this NORMAL for Mahindra tractors to burn up the AC compressors in such a short time? I Thank you all for any help.

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #2  
first of all great troubleshooting - process off elimination and yes it is pretty clear your AC compressor is possibly bad again. Question, is your compressor adjustable that takes up the belt slack or is it an idler pulley that you adjust.

Belts too tight can cause compressors/bearings/idlers/ to fail prematurely - I am not familiar with your tractor setup so I do not have any idea if this is common among them but I would also google your model and AC compressor issues.

You could also call another dealer or their home office and get a better perspective on that particular model and potential issues or something they have noticed that your local dealer may not know about.

Just some thoughts.......

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #3  
When a given part fails repeatedly, it's more than likely that it is merely a symptom of the actual problem.

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #4  
the A/C condenser sits in front of the radiator therefore it will heat up the air a little before it gets to the radiator. It is common for them both to collect alot of debris. Give them both a good cleaning and try again.

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #5  
the A/C condenser sits in front of the radiator therefore it will heat up the air a little before it gets to the radiator. It is common for them both to collect alot of debris. Give them both a good cleaning and try again.

That would be my guess to, pulling a whole lot of heat out of the cabin and dumping it right in front of the radiator as you posted
Wonder if there is a bunch of chaff trapped between the condenser and engine rad?

ps

(when I turned the ac on the temp immediately when to 3/4 before I shut the ac off, I did this 4 times and each time it did the same thing, it immediately when from the 1/2 to 3/4 before I would shut the ac off, because if I didn稚 shut the AC off, it go up into the hot)

If you are saying the temp on the gauge rises Immediately after turning on the AC
where there is a voltage shift caused at the gauge for some reason
but if this was the case you should be able to cause a temp change on the gauge by starting up the tractor cold and then turning A/C on and Off which would also cause the temp gauge to change by activating the A/C

Last edited:
   / Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #6  
Excellent suggestion. We had a similar overheating issue with one of our Kubota's and cleaning out the radiator fixed the overheating issue. It was amazing how much crud came out up there, you couldn't see through it before but you could afterwards.

Aaron Z

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #7  
A/C condenser clogged is a possibility there is a limited amount of air going through the system regardless on/off in neutral sitting still - the AC condenser might be causing more drag than normal on the engine - radiator restriction/thermostat function reduced - ac condenser restriction - grill/airflow restriction - fan blade not rotating properly/loose belt ( worn belt from squealing/glazing it ) - a 12' mower and 48HP is a stretch and would be loading the tractor a lot - says you are mowing grass around the house - not sure how tall that is or what part of the country you are in but I can understand why 1st gear would be required - in the fall there is fall more clippings/dry stuff to clog a radiator so I would check all of those things first - sitting still getting warmer is common when not moving air especially if outside temps are high - not sure what type of temps you are operation in either -

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help #8  
Okay, if you have had a compressor fail, was the receiver/dryer changed at the same time? Or does your system use an orifice tube? In any case, they should have been changed at the same time as the compressor. Those devices are also filters for debris in the system. If they were NOT changed, then your system was re-contaminated with the debris from your failed compressor.

Also, an overcharged system can cause a compressor to lock up, which will cause your belt to slip. A slipping belt gets burnt and glazed. And a burnt/glazed belt will slip and slip and slip. And that will effect the water pump and the engine cooling system.

Have you thought about installing a reversing fan to help keep the radiator and condenser clean of grass and debris? Bruce

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help
searcyfarms Thank you for your reply. I believe my dealer has checked all that you have said, but I am going to copy your reply and save it just encase it has not been checked. Thank you again for your help. This is a great forum with great members. I Thank all of you for your help. Sammie

/ Mahindra tractor over heating, Please Help
Thank you CincyFlyer