Buying Advice Mahindra vs LS

/ Mahindra vs LS #1  

cpcattleco

Tractor
Ford 3000 diesel, 8-speed
I'm stumped on what to buy. Originally I started out looking for a Mahindra. Much of what I've read and researched show these tractors to be well built and durable. However, I have no local dealer in the area I now live. I then started looking at an LS XG3140H, but really needed the XR3140H (which is out of my budget) for the more robust frame and weight.
There is a Mahindra dealer about 60 miles from me. I spoke with a sales rep over the phone that recommends the 2638 HST. The specs I read seem to put this tractor more in comparison with the LS XR3140. However, the price is several thousand less. I haven't had opportunity to look at this tractor yet, but first wanted some input from Mahindra owners. Particularly those that might own this same model.

I have 10 acres of horse pasture and pine trees, some brush undergrowth. I'll pull a 5ft brush hog, landscape rake and box blade. Will use the loader for cleaning the barn and pushing brush and logs into a burn pile. I'll move round bales on occasion with a hay spear on the 3-point.

All suggestions and input are greatly appreciated!

/ Mahindra vs LS #2  
That model Mahindra uses the Mahindra engine on a TYM chassis. It more of the workhorse line like the Kubota L series. Joystick on the loader instead of the fender etc. I know LS makes the New Holland machines that are in that size range and it’s my understanding LS makes the tractors. I think, in general, most are happy with the 25xx, now 26xx Mahindra tractors. However, TYM doesn’t seem to have as good of a reputation as the 15xx Mahindra tractors with the Mitsubishi chassis.
As far as resale if the LS dealer has been selling LS for a long time and has a good reputation folks in your are will surely snap up an LS. But overall, LS doesn’t have the footprint or name recognition that Mahindra has in the USA.

/ Mahindra vs LS #3  
Have you looked at the LS MT345HE? It's a bit bigger than the XR3100 but more basic on the features. It's about the same price but a lot of tractor for the money. Also, around here and on LS website, the XR3140 is a only available with a cab. The XR3135 is no cab. Are you sure the dealers dont have you comparing a cabbed tractor to non cabbed? I only ask because from a quick look, it seems the Mahindra 2638 and LS XR3135 seem to be in the same ballpark on price and the one I found with a backhoe was almost $1000 more than I got my XR3135 for.

/ Mahindra vs LS #4  
I won't get into brands - locally the LS dealer is also the Mahindra dealer. There is little or no support after the sale so I went with Kubota as the local dealer has a great mechanic. I also mow ten acres and went with a 25 horsepower tractor to avoid all the EPA mandated add ons for tractors above 25 horsepower.

/ Mahindra vs LS
Have you looked at the LS MT345HE? It's a bit bigger than the XR3100 but more basic on the features. It's about the same price but a lot of tractor for the money. Also, around here and on LS website, the XR3140 is a only available with a cab. The XR3135 is no cab. Are you sure the dealers dont have you comparing a cabbed tractor to non cabbed? I only ask because from a quick look, it seems the Mahindra 2638 and LS XR3135 seem to be in the same ballpark on price and the one I found with a backhoe was almost $1000 more than I got my XR3135 for.

The XR3140 quoted to me has no cab. They had an XR3135 on the lot, 2019 model, but I hesitated and it was sold. From research I've done, an test driving, I'm leaning more to the Mahindra. Also, it doesn't have the regen system.

/ Mahindra vs LS #6  
The XR3140 quoted to me has no cab. They had an XR3135 on the lot, 2019 model, but I hesitated and it was sold. From research I've done, an test driving, I'm leaning more to the Mahindra. Also, it doesn't have the regen system.

Mahindra has the Catalytic Converter and most others are using the DPF.

/ Mahindra vs LS #7  
Just a thought - consider a used Ford New Holland. They dont have the resale value of Deere or Kubota but are decent tractors. 40HP with loader and front wheel assist and 2000 hours probably cost $9000 or $10000. You might save thousands that could be used for other things.

/ Mahindra vs LS #8  
I can't speak to LS tractors, as I have never owned one, but I do have a Mahindra 2538 (older version of the 2638) and have put 1100 hours on it in about 3 years. Other than routine maintenance (which is important with ANY brand) no mechanical issues at all. I did have the ECU updated about a year or so ago. The 2638 has the same power train, hydraulics, FEL, etc. The only thing different on the 2638 is a nicer seat (wish I had one), cup holders and power point on the fender.

If you decide on the 2638 and don't have your bush hog yet, you should get a 6' bush hog, over the 5'. Not a problem at all for the 2638. I'd also go with a 6-8' landscape rake, and a 5-6' box blade. The tractor is a real work horse.

(Plus what Neuman said: No DEF, or PDF)

/ Mahindra vs LS #9  
Just a thought - consider a used Ford New Holland. They dont have the resale value of Deere or Kubota but are decent tractors. 40HP with loader and front wheel assist and 2000 hours probably cost $9000 or $10000. You might save thousands that could be used for other things.

Good advice,.......and likely zero electronic/pollution garbage.

/ Mahindra vs LS #10  
i agree with duffer on all points. i like my 2538 alot. that being said ,my friend just bought a ls xr 4140 and it is very nice. you get all the little extras on the ls 3 pt system that dont come on the mahindra. I put a pats qh on mine and really like it. I think either brand will make you happy.