Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished?

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #1  

LGinIA

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X485 AWS,B2410,RTV900
I've noticed that when ever I arrive at the main index page, the count for new posts & replies has vanished? However, when I go to a subject page, the new posts & replies count is showing. Am I the only one with this change? I never changed any previous settings. Any suggestions? Thanks

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #2  
Yes, they made these changes to increase performance. They affect everybody.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished?
Thanks. Seems like we have to spend more time now searching for hidden new message posts in subject areas versus bypassing those previously that did not have any new message updates. This change may actually slow down the system with more users searching. I'll trust the site manager's expertise on this item.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #4  
Some people really don't like the changes. Myself, I check in a few times a day and always use the "Get messages posted in the last N hours" feature to read new posts so I didn't even notice.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished?
Sorry - this item is discussed quite heavily in the upgrade downtime post. I'll toss my vote towards the previous revision.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #6  
Where is the "Get messages posted in last..."? I'm struggling with this new version as well.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #7  
<font color="blue"> Where is the "Get messages posted in last..."? I'm struggling with this new version as well. </font>

295467-recent.jpg

Attachments

• 295467-recent.jpg
    295467-recent.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 71
   / Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #8  
Upper right hand corner on the Main Index page. Right under the "Welcome Back...."

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #9  
No offense meant to any of the previous posters, but I am struggling to understand what people are struggling with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

While I, too, liked the indicator of the number of new posts, that is the only thing that's missing.

- We still know which forums have new messages, as indicated by the tractor icon on the left
- We still can go directly to the latest message, as indicated on the right.

As soon as we click on the forum, we see how many new threads and messages there are. I used the post count to determine if I had the time to enter the forum and read the messages. Now I do one more click.

I also fully understand the reason for the search restriction that was implemented. Too many people searching almost 300,000 posts was impacting people trying to do anything else on the site.

Muhammad, et. al., make the big bucks so they get to make the decisions regarding balancing function, performance and dollars. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While I, too, liked the indicator of the number of new posts, that is the only thing that's missing.
)</font>

Mike, I think there is at least one other thing missing. It use to show the username of the last person to make a post to the thread that was listed. I really liked that feature.

But, I agree with you that the changes really are minor, and if they result in better performance, I'm all for them.

I really hope that I'm the kind of person that can deal with some change in a positive way.

We use to have a saying in the Navy...... <font color="blue"> "If they're not complaining, then they're not happy! </font>

Well, I guess we have a BUNCH of happy TBN'ers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif