Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished?

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #11  
Maybe "struggling" was too strong a description. I liked the old version. The new version is still far superior to anything else that exists anywhere on the web. The only real "struggling" I did was trying to figure out what I did wrong (a continuous process for me). Turns out nothing. And, no offense was taken.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #12  
I _can_ handle change. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The number of new replies since my last visit was something that I used. I check in here every 3-5 days, & I would pick my favorite forums from the Main Index depending on how many new messages it had. Sometimes there were almost none on a couple of forums I visit, so I would save those up, not bother going there. Sometimes my time was limited, & if there were 100 new messages in a forum, I would not visit it today, wait until I had more time.

Now I must visit each forum to see if there are any new messages. If there are none, I wasted time. If I only have 5 minutes & there are 100 new ones, I won't get to them all & my counter is reset, so I'll probably miss some later that I wanted to read.

That is how I used the counter on the Main Index. Certainly this is not my system, I would not tell anyone how to run it. And I'll be around one way or another, it's not a big deal. But that was a feature that made using this site easier for me. Now it is slightly more trouble.

In my situation, something that would save a lot of time is to get rid of the special smiley faces pictures, user pictures, & all that. I like message content, never really enjoy waiting for all those little worthless do-dads to load. Takes time on my dialup 28.8k service. Again, I'm not trying to _tell_ anyone anything, I'm just pointing out the way I use this system. : ) Loading those extra graphics takes longer on my end of the 'net than the new message count did. We each have our personal preferences, it's a difficult task to make a popular web site that makes everyone happy. The folks that run this site do a good job, but I think it's ok for the users to express their preferences too along the way? : )

--->Paul

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #13  
<font color="blue"> Now I must visit each forum to see if there are any new messages. If there are none, I wasted time. </font>
You do not have to visit each forum to see if there are new messages. A yellow tractor icon (see below) indicates there are new messages.

295901-messages.jpg

Attachments

• 295901-messages.jpg
    295901-messages.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 67
   / Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #14  
I have to agree. Well said.

/ Main Index count for new posts/replies vanished? #15  
<font color="blue"> In my situation, something that would save a lot of time is to get rid of the special smiley faces pictures, user pictures, & all that. </font>
I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically with this statement. However, in your personal profile, you can turn off seeing posters pictures as well as their signatures in their posts.

My Home---Display preferences---Edit---Click on 'No' under both 'View other user's pictures with their posts' and 'Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts.'

The Instant Faces can not be turned off.

<font color="blue"> but I think it's ok for the users to express their preferences too along the way? : ) </font>
You just did! :) (Note that I did not use an Instant Face ;-))