Maine Trailer Plates

/ Maine Trailer Plates #31  
It seems that there are several different opinions on how legal it is from one state to the next. Heck, there are even several opinions from within the same state.
But for the savings I thought I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. Worst case scenario I get a ticket for an expired NY registration and re-register it here.

I dont see how you can get expired NYS registration ticket? you have no NYS plates, nor NYS registration to show. its just maine.

I have been trying to find more info on how insurance will be affected, my insurance agent will not say its legal or not for trailers since vehicles MUST show address for both plates and regs in state but may not apply to trailers. I also been trying to find REAL documents that we would STILL own trailer even though address of regs is out of state since I want to register a boy scout trailer in maine since it would be cheaper and easier.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #32  
I would not worry about a trailer. My company registers our airplane in Delaware and its worth 20 million. Reason, taxes. I would venture to say 85% of the airplanes that I have flown, well over 125, have been registered in Delaware and I would guess that holds true for all airplanes in the US.

Same thing with boats. I have owned 15 or more boats registered most out of my state due to the 7% tax. Pretty significant when you are buying a $140,000 boat. I register it out of state and paid a life time registration fee for less than $150 versus nearly $10,000 in tax. All my boating buddies do the same thing.

What I am trying to get at is I would not worry about a $4000 trailer when large ticket items are getting away with this for years.

By the way, I live down the road from a large Indiana based grocery store chain that must own 200 semi's. Every ones trailer is registered in Maine. As far as I know they don't have any stores in states other than Indiana.

Chris
I'm surprised you can get away with the planes and large boats. In NY the state has people going around to the airports and checking regs on planes that are always on the ground at the same location. Same for large yachts at marinas. My friend's cousin, a medical doctor, got nailed good on his plane a few years back. Maybe IN isn't that agressive, for now anyways.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #33  
I'm surprised you can get away with the planes and large boats. In NY the state has people going around to the airports and checking regs on planes that are always on the ground at the same location. Same for large yachts at marinas. My friend's cousin, a medical doctor, got nailed good on his plane a few years back. Maybe IN isn't that agressive, for now anyways.

A lot of planes maybe bigger boats are owned by corporations that incorporated in the low tax states,and since that is their legal address, I don't think the other states can ***** about where they happen to be at any given time.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #34  
You could leave a semi-trailer parked in the same place for decades with a permanent out of state plate, rarely pulling it and no one looks at it twice.

I would be surprised if there isn't a (tax) law against avoiding paying the tax for a regularly used vehicle that stays within a state.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #35  
I did the same thing, think its a few dollars more, but i faxed over my registration, paid with a CC# and had them in no time
(www).mainetrailerregistrations.com :thumbsup:

/ Maine Trailer Plates #36  
I was the long-hauling trucking for many years and registered my semi-trailers in Maine. The advantage then as now, is: no sales tax on the purchase,no annual city or excise tax, and no annual inspection.

The Maine address is that of your "resident agent",

Best way to avoid any possible problem with locals re same name on both registrations is to use a "made up" rental or leasing co. on the trailer registration.

When I 1st heard about this 35 years ago, I didn't believe it either, but researched it and eventually had 6 trailers registered in Maine.

Look at the plates on all the container chassis' running around; they are all Maine.

Note to States who are always raising taxes: it doesn't work' drives people to states where fees and taxes are low. Maine has been doing this for decades.

It used to be though that you couldn't use it for camper , and it may not be worth it for light duty trailers (under 3,000).

Some asked about insurance; liabilty is covered by the pulling unit.

Hope this helps.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #37  
MBItrailers (mainetrailerregistrations.com) really are easy to do business with. I misplaced one of my registrations and they couldn't have been more helpful in getting a duplicate.

Jack suggested using, "I have a business interest in Maine." clean, simple and truthful.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #38  
After following this thread from the beginning, I moved forward and now have 2 trailers registered in Maine! It couldn't have been any easier. 2 trailers, registered for 5 years each, all costs included $250 total!!!!!

I dealt with Jennifer@countrywidetrailerregistration. The service was professional, and quick. Had my plates in hand in 8 days( actually arrived@po box in 7!!!!). After my experience, I couldn't imagine registering my trailers any where else!

/ Maine Trailer Plates #39  
I've used MBItrailers, and they are very good. Everybody down here is using Maine for trailer registration. This state has gotten insane with its fees.

/ Maine Trailer Plates #40