Maintenance #3 for the Novice L3200HST 4WD Owner - Front Axle Fluid Change

/ Maintenance #3 for the Novice L3200HST 4WD Owner - Front Axle Fluid Change #1  
Tractor
Kubota L3200HST with LA524 Loader, Quick Connect; Loaded R4 Tires
I'm new to tractoring but I think I picked a good one last year (with a lot of people's guidance) in a new Kubota L3200 HST 4WD for my 20 acre horse farm that is supposed to be our retirement abode. ;)

Early this year it came time for the first 50 hour maintenance. I've done routine maintenance on cars and motorcycles but this is my first experience with a tractor. I've been trying to learn as much as I can from the manuals and from great web sites like this one where everyone is really helpful. I thought I'd return the favor so I created a series of postings for novices like me to show them the results of what I've learned to make it easier for them when it comes their time to do their own maintenance. I'm sure this is old hat to many of you, but comments and suggestions from the tractor veterans here are welcome!

In this thread lets change out your Front Axle Fluid. First, look at the following video on YouTube. This guy does a great job! He is working on a L3400HST 4WD but it is very close to the L3200/L3800 series.

You will need the following parts and tools:

• 1.2 gallons Super UDT2 (2.5gallon) (Kubota Part # 70000-40202) $55.12 each
  • 3 9/16" x 3/8" Copper Gaskets (Autozone Dorman) $1 each
  • 14mm and 27mm sockets or wrenches
  • Oil Drain Pan
  • Funnel with a long neck or make your own:
    • ~2 feet of 5/8 O.D. x 1/2" I.D. hose
    • FloTool Super Multi-Purpose Funnel (WalMart SKU 007997610712) $3.47
The good news is that the fluid change for the front axle is on the same maintenance schedule (400 hours) as the Hydraulic fluid change so the purchase of three 2.5 gallon jugs of Super UDT2 or equivalent will give you just enough to do both of these fluid changes. Alternatively, the manual says you can use 80-90W Gear Oil. Some folks like Amsoil. I figured if I've bought three 2.5 gallon jugs of Super UDT2 I might as well use it all.

Start with removing the 27mm filler plug on the front side of the axle to release any air lock. You can then start draining the fluid through the drain plugs at the bottom of the right and left end of the axle case by removing them one at a time with your 14mm wrench. A good idea is to set up an aluminum foil pseudo funnel directly behind and underneath the plug (I've taped mine up) so that the fluid falls on it and is directed into your oil drain pan. Otherwise the fluid will fall all over your tires. It will take a while for the fluid to drain so plan on a half hour or so to empty the fluid. You can speed it up a little after it starts flowing by removing the 14mm check plug on the front of the axle.

The three 14mm fluid plugs and gaskets and the 27mm filler plug look like this:

Front Axle Plugs.jpg

The 27mm metal washer has an internal rubber gasket. They are probably not available from your local Autozone. I will probably try to replace that washer the next time I change the fluid because I always worry about leaks. I did replace the three copper gaskets for the two 14mm drain plugs and the 14mm check plug.

Once your fluid has all drained out you can reinstall the two 14mm drain plugs. At this point it's now time to figure out how to get the new fluid in the axle. It's kind of difficult to pour it in from the side so what I found was a clean tube put into the hole worked really well. You may have what I call a transmission funnel handy which has a long tube as part of the funnel. If not, you can make one with a couple of feet of tubing pushed over the end of a funnel. I've listed the parts I used but feel free to do your own thing. The video also illustrates this idea. This is what I did and it worked really well.

Once you put your tube into the filler hole you should pour about a gallon into the axle. Then start putting it in slowly because it will start coming out of the check plug so have your oil drain pan under the check hole ready to catch that excess fluid. It should take just under 5 quarts of fluid to fill the axle.

Once the fluid starts coming out of the check hole you are done with the fill. After you fill the axle just reinstall the 27mm filler plug and the 14mm check plug and you are set to go. You should change the fluid every 400 hours.

Good Luck!
:cool2: