Oil & Fuel Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval

/ Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval #1  

Bigfish50

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 and 54 Massey Ferguson TO35
All,

< 18 hours till I get to the 50-hour service interval so starting to review what needs to be done. I've been trying to interpret my manual for my NX and I am confused. I've attached a pic of the maintenance intervals as prescribed by the manual below.

According to the manual there is no oil and filter change till 200 hours then its every 200 hours after that? Seems odd that a Tier-4 would be different from Tier-3. I think I would be more comfortable changing the oil and filter at 50 hours to account for break-in. Is there a reason for not doing it at 50 hours? If not I will change it then go with the 200 hour or yearly (whichever comes first) service interval. Also oil choices are 15W40/10W40/10W40. What would be the best option for a tractor living in middle TN where temps are moderate?

For UTF the manual indicates in the attached chart it needs to be changed after 50 hours then at 400 hour intervals. However in a different location in the manual it states "However, replace only the filter after initial 50-hour operation." One does seem to contradict the other :)

Oh well, guess I will run these questions by the dealer but thought I'd put it out here for thoughts..

scan0001.jpg
scan0002.jpg

/ Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval #2  
I'd use Rotella t6 synthetic 5w 40

/ Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval #3  
I use Mobil1 10W30 full synthetic and a synthetic filter if I can find one.

/ Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval
Fatboycowen, didn't see 5w 40 listed in my manual so not sure that would keep me covered under warranty. I may ask the dealer if that's an acceptable substitute. Course Lockport may have a good solution as well.

/ Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval #5  
Though the dealer will tell you there is nothing wrong using 5W 40, It's not entirely necessary for your climate. In TN, any good 15-40 diesel oil will suit you well, and will typically cost less. I use 5W 40 here in Maine during the wintertime, and could get away with a 10W 40 without trouble. It's easy to get caught up on the topic of oil and what is the very best. I personally think Delo, Shell, Mobil, Valvoline, and the other majors, all put together good oils. So long as they meet the weight and ratings the engine requires for your climate and usage, you'll be good to go.

For my DK45 I recall the manual contradicting itself too, or at least not being very clear, But I do know that changing ALL oils at 50 hours is highly recommended. I know I see a lot of nasty come out of the sumps on that first 50 hour change, especially from the transmission, in any tractor, Kioti or otherwise.

After the 50hr, it's an HST filter change every 200 hours, then a hydro/trans fluid change every 400 hours.

But certainly talk to your dealer, and keep an open dialog with them. They are not always right, but there is value in their approval and conversation.

/ Maintenance Intervals for Engine Oil and UTF - Approaching 50-hour service interval #6  
What ever oil viscosity you choose, make sure the oil has an API rating for Diesel engines.