Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower #1  

sbmullan

Tractor
Massey Fersuson 35x
Hi there

I've registered on behalf of my father who has a MF 327 sickle mower. see link for pictures

Picasa Web Albums - 10533237387750131... - Massey Fergus...

Has anyone got any knowledge of this piece of machinery which might help us getting it cutting more efficiently. There's a fair amount of play where the drive shaft :)confused:) attaches to the blade and my dad reckons that it is creating too much slap as the blades close to it slide back and forth. I assume that this is as a result of wear and that replacement parts would be needed to tighten up this mechanism. He also intends adjusting the shims along the blade.

Where would you start to look for replacement parts for equipment like this (total newbie)?

Based in Ireland BTW

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower #2  
:welcome:

Ireland should have some farm shops and equipment dealers that handle the parts for sickle mowers.

Ken Sweet (sweettractors) will be along and is one of the guru's that can add some help. Sounds like worn parts and that is normal for sickle bar mowers. The slap may be normal, and then again, it may come from worn parts.

The pics show it to be in pretty fair shape. The "drive" is called the pitman arm and should have a firm grip on the sickle cutting bar with the knives.

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower #3  
Adjusting the shims and toe clamps on the cutter bar will help. The sickle should be sharp and have good under serrations on the cutting sections. The rock guards should have good ledger plates in them with good serrations on those as well. If the ball is wore on the end of the sickle where the pitman attaches, a new drive head may need to be put on the sickle. Make sure the end shoe has a good ledger plate in it. Ken Sweet

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower
Many thanks guys for the very prompt replies. I'll follow up with a few local suppliers and see what they come up with

Regarding the pitman (I knew that :) ) arm threaded onto the ball joint. We noticed alot of play on the threads. My dad removed this by hand tonight and mentioned over the phone that the male threads looked in poor shape. I presume the same would be the case for the female threads on the pitman arm. What would you suggest as regards getting this fitting tight again (assuming we'll be fitting a new drive head)? I would guess that plumbers tape wouldn't be up to the job?

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower #5  
Many thanks guys for the very prompt replies. I'll follow up with a few local suppliers and see what they come up with

Regarding the pitman (I knew that :) ) arm threaded onto the ball joint. We noticed alot of play on the threads. My dad removed this by hand tonight and mentioned over the phone that the male threads looked in poor shape. I presume the same would be the case for the female threads on the pitman arm. What would you suggest as regards getting this fitting tight again (assuming we'll be fitting a new drive head)? I would guess that plumbers tape wouldn't be up to the job?

Could you put a bolt or pin through the male and female parts? Ken Sweet

Could you put a bolt or pin through the male and female parts? Ken Sweet

Trying to visualize your suggestions Ken

Do you mean a split pin arrangement or link pin through the male female parts? Do you think it would stop any play play at this joint seeing as the threads wouldn't mate as well as they should? Suppose if the link pin/bolt fitted snug then it should...

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower #7  
Trying to visualize your suggestions Ken

Do you mean a split pin arrangement or link pin through the male female parts? Do you think it would stop any play play at this joint seeing as the threads wouldn't mate as well as they should? Suppose if the link pin/bolt fitted snug then it should...

I was thinking of drilling a hole across the female and male parts and inserting a cross pin or bolt or weld it in place is what most farmers would do. Ken Sweet

Yes....understood correctly

If thats the tried and tested solution then we'll go with that

Cheers

Sean

/ Maintenance of a MF 327 sickle mower #9  
Yes....understood correctly

If thats the tried and tested solution then we'll go with that

Cheers

Sean

Sean, If you can obtain the new parts needed for repair, I would go that route first. If not then I would go to plan B :) Ken Sweet