Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do????

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do????
All:
Thanks for your replies. It seems the overwhelming response is to get a second opinion, which is what I'm going to do. Now, in retrospect, the axle nut being stripped is pretty bad, definitely worse than a trac bar! Good point, RedRocker.

HGM, I can't think I did anything to this guy, I worked with him in '89-91, i was like 19-20 at the time and wrote up work orders, changed oil, mounted new tires, etc. I did remember him being kinda mean, but helpful at the same time, kinda like in a frat kinda way..

Anyway, I'm done with them, have a good referral for another shop and will check them out tomorrow. In fact, I'm going to interview to other shops tomorrow, just basically ask what they're experience is with cummins and dodge in general...

Wow, what a bad experience!! But, TBN has helped me yet again, thanks guys.. -art
p.s. i may have to sell one of my old tractors to cover this, ym169d, any interest?!? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #12  
Find another repair shop.

I've got my own opinion on diesel trucks. I currently own an '04 Dodge 2500/4WD/4-door/Cummings/automatic. It's just now hitting 35,000 on the clock. No problems so far. Prior to this one, I had a '99 Dodge 2500/Cummings/manual. I ran it for 170,000 miles. The ENGINE would have gone another 170,000 (+). The rest of the truck would have been much the same as any other brand, gas or diesel....... A MONEY PIT after 150,000 Diesels last well beyond 200,000 if cared for properly. Brakes don't, transmissions don't, differentials don't, electrical systems don't, bodies don't. (Some of these components last, but on the average, they start falling apart after a few years of use)

With the reputation that diesels have, and the good re-sale value, I send mine on down the line after 4 or 5 years, no matter how many miles they have (or DON'T have).

A friend has a Dodge/Cummings that I believe is a '95 model. He has over 600,000 miles on the truck. It is a rag. (Typical old farm truck) But the Cummings is still plugging along. The rest of the truck is a road hazard.

Old is old. Doesn't matter if it's diesel powered old or gas powered old. Miles are miles.

Thanks for the input.

I spoke with another repair shop this morning... The guy at this shop said that in general, the dodge vehicles start coming apart about 100k miles... Anyone agree or disagree with this statement?

Granted, it's a 7 yr old truck with 103k, it'll have some things to fix occassionally, but what might i expect wrt major repairs?!?

Thanks again. -Art

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the input.

I spoke with another repair shop this morning... The guy at this shop said that in general, the dodge vehicles start coming apart about 100k miles... Anyone agree or disagree with this statement?

Granted, it's a 7 yr old truck with 103k, it'll have some things to fix occassionally, but what might i expect wrt major repairs?!?

Thanks again. -Art )</font>

Hi Art,
I dont think that is a very accurate statement /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I have a 2000 Dodge Ram, 5.9 L gas and have had very good luck with it. The truck was bought new in January 2000 and I have 82,000 miles on it. I got 50,000 miles on the original tires, the exhaust system would still be on it if I hadnt changed it to a performance exhaust. I just replaced the waterpump at 81,000. The battery lasted over 5 years, the front brakes I replaced twice, the rear brakes are original. I accidentally slid off the side of the road at 31,000 miles and when I got pulled out my power steering pump failed for some reason but was covered under the warranty. Other than that I replace the oil and filter every 2500 miles and that truck has not given me any problems /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I occasionally tow one of my tractors but not often. Just my observations.

scotty

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #15  
Hard to say. When I sold my Road Runner, it had 195,000 miles on it, with little work done to it. My Mother had one of those 80's "K" car station wagons. She traded it away 245,000 miles. Still in good condition, although the driver seat was a bit worn. A friend had a '99 Ram like yours.with similar mileage, with no issues. He hauls a 11' camper around all the time.

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I spoke with another repair shop this morning... The guy at this shop said that in general, the dodge vehicles start coming apart about 100k miles... Anyone agree or disagree with this statement? )</font>

NOT If you take care of it, other than normal wear. I've got over 170K on a 97 and it's still a nice truck. Things will wear out like Farmwithjunk said, but mine is still in great shape.

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #17  
<font color="blue"> I'm thinking about moving it to another shop, but then when i look at the price of a new truck, 25K for a new f-250, i gotta think, 'what am i doing!!!???</font>

Wow, you can get a new Ford F250 for 25K. Your bargaining ability is superb.

that's what the internet told me... when I actually talked with the dealer, that's another story... so, as you say, who cares. i don't, certainly about a new truck...

All, thanks for the feedback. I've decided to repair, at another shop that specializes in diesels.... I'll be without the truck for another week, but at this point it doesn't matter as long as the problems get fixed. From my opinion, the truck is good, is in good condition and should last awhile longer (I'm hoping another 100k and 7-8 yrs...).

I'll keep you all posted on progress/outcome in the next few days... Thanks again, -art

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #19  
I have 130,000 on my 1500 5.9 L . Only problem I had was the front ball jonts went bad @100,000 mi. I have pulled trailers with this truck since I bought it new in 95. I do know that the cunnings engine adds alot of weight to the front end of that truck.

/ Major Truck Trouble, What Would You Do???? #20  
Thats good to hear about the cost, I think /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I'm looking at a Toyota Tacoma and its in that ballpark. I'm waiting for a remanufactured transmission to put in my Ford F250. Im in the same boat as you. I could spend twice as much on truck repairs right now then I could get for my truck. Leaf springs in front are shot, no AC, neither window goes up, ignition switch needs replacing, tailgate is in need of replacing, tires are gone, transmission is shot, radiator just sprung a leak, the list grows almost daily. The old anemic 7.3L IDI non turbo diesel works very well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif