Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields...

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #3  
Sorry, couldn't read it all because the website kept popping up ads.

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #4  
It seemed to be quite the complex saga however. Besides, look at the equipment farmers are using these days. Clearly, they can afford a little slap on the wrist like that.

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #5  
SAD day... obviously we don't have the detailed story, but farmers should be able to work the land within reason (I doubt that the farmer was plowing or ripping in a stream)... The grass seed growers around here finally had to give up.. even with permits and following the rules, they were not able to burn their grass stubble fields (best way to dispose of grass straw and stimulate new growth).

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #6  
progression=regression

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #7  
It seemed to be quite the complex saga however. Besides, look at the equipment farmers are using these days. Clearly, they can afford a little slap on the wrist like that.

2.8m is a slap on the wrist? Or making him buy more land and plant native plants, what then? The guy owns 400 acres of protected wetlands?

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #8  
2.8m is not slap on the wrist.
not sure if link will work.
dusty way red bluff ca, to paskenta rd, ca

Google Maps

most of the creak sides are lined with farm fields.

zooming out on other hand... and going 3D. looks like a nasty mountain range with possibly a good amount of "slope"? and a lot of erosion issues?

i could see issues, if erosion control was not taken into account. lots of dirt washing away. vs staying in the field. water ways here on the fields on this farm. just to help deal with "silt". one of the lakes, when i was knee high i was. was 7 to 10 plus feet deep. now 30 odd years later. i would venture 1 foot deep. lake is only is filled with water from run off from nearby fields. a lot of dirt!

========
ripper comments in article *ughs* that is tilling the dim wit!

========
on other hand. dealing with nightmare neighbor of a farmer over the years. and dealing with cows and big poo going into nearby creaks, and letting dead cows, dead pigs, dead sheep rot in or right at the edge of creaks. along with chemical pollution. along with "set backs" of how far you need to be away from body of water / creak.

if the water went from good in creak to above what is average for creak. and erosion was issue. not much farmer can do... still a water way. you can still farm. but farmers can still get nabbed for chemicals running into creaks and like.

being down wind err down creak. of rotting animals and poo going into creak, and chemicals going into creak. *been there done that*

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #9  
The story isn't quite as simple as "farmer fined for plowing his land". Anybody and especially a commercial farmer should understand the sensitivity of wetlands issues. Seems he willfully decided to ignore those issues. Unless what he did was egregious, I would imagine that the real fine will be far less than the maximum reported to earn a juicy headline. Not exactly "fake news" but hardly shocking.

/ Make sure you get your permits before plowing your fields... #10  
This is the type of thing that makes my head hurt. While I firmly believe in a persons right to possess and use their land without excessive government oversight, I also know that we as a species, if left to our own, would destroy the environment. As much as I believe in our property rights, I support the Governments action in this case. If you are in the business, then it's up to you to know and understand the rules.