making a chipper for a PT?

/ making a chipper for a PT? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have followed Jims thread on the Post Hole Digger. Bummed that the PT does not make a chipper. How hard would it be to put a pump on a chipper at the PTO connection? Anyone try this yet?

Carl

/ making a chipper for a PT? #2  
:) :) Might be better to use a motor instead of a pump.:) :)
Should not be too hard (easy for me to say cause I am not doing it). You would get about 15 horsepower, so don't use a really big chipper.

/ making a chipper for a PT?
Sorry... Motor... Just can't wrap my head around hydraulics and motor in the same sentence...

I am considering either the 1430 or the 1845 (1845 is in the lead but the 1430 fits the wallet). But, only 15HP? You have to be kidding. How in the heck do you till with this thing? I know it does not have the ground pulling oomph that a CUT has, but this makes me nervous about brush-hogging. How does is swing a 72" swath when a 27hp PTO can only do a 60....

So, just so I have PT correct in my head. It is nothing more than a diesel / gas driven hydraulic pump. The pump that drives the lifts and steering is the same pump that drives the wheel motors?

Thanks for the PT 101 lessons guys...

/ making a chipper for a PT? #4  
woodlandfarms said:
Sorry... Motor... Just can't wrap my head around hydraulics and motor in the same sentence...

I am considering either the 1430 or the 1845 (1845 is in the lead but the 1430 fits the wallet). But, only 15HP? You have to be kidding. How in the heck do you till with this thing? I know it does not have the ground pulling oomph that a CUT has, but this makes me nervous about brush-hogging. How does is swing a 72" swath when a 27hp PTO can only do a 60....

So, just so I have PT correct in my head. It is nothing more than a diesel / gas driven hydraulic pump. The pump that drives the lifts and steering is the same pump that drives the wheel motors?

No, my 1445 has three pumps. wheel motors have their own pump, steering and lift have their own pump, and the PTO has a pump. The pump are matched to the motors. It isn't only the horse power, but the torque generated by the hydraulic motors. Even a CUT does not deliver all the available horse power to the PTO. Power-Tracs have been bushogging for about 16 years.

/ making a chipper for a PT? #5  
woodlandfarms said:

The 422 has about 15 HP on the PTO. The 1430 and 1845 are more, I don't know how much more. I expect the 425 is also 15 HP.

/ making a chipper for a PT? #6  
The 1445 takes about 26 hp to run the PTO pump. You should have less HP out to the motor, due to the loss in efficiency.

The efficiency of a hydraulic pump to motor is about 85 %.

Last edited:
   / making a chipper for a PT? #7  
woodlandfarms said:
I have followed Jims thread on the Post Hole Digger. Bummed that the PT does not make a chipper. How hard would it be to put a pump on a chipper at the PTO connection? Anyone try this yet?

Carl

There is no reason why you could not build a chipper for the PT. A 4 or 5 in chipper would take about 20 hp. You must consider this, those chippers turn in the thousands of rpm and most hydraulic motors with a high displacement will turn slow maybe around 500 to 750 rpm. You need HP and speed on a chipper.

/ making a chipper for a PT? #8  
J_J said:
There is no reason why you could not build a chipper for the PT. A 4 or 5 in chipper would take about 20 hp. You must consider this, those chippers turn in the thousands of rpm and most hydraulic motors with a high displacement will turn slow maybe around 500 to 750 rpm. You need HP and speed on a chipper.

PTO on a cut is also only 540rpm. Chipper speed is achieved through belts and pulleys. You could probably do the same with a hydraulic motor driven chipper.

/ making a chipper for a PT? #9  
RegL said:
PTO on a cut is also only 540rpm. Chipper speed is achieved through belts and pulleys. You could probably do the same with a hydraulic motor driven chipper.

You are right, I have a Bearcat PTO chipper that I use on my Kubota 22 hp diesel. It chips and shreds fairly well, but it takes just about all the available HP to run it, A 4 in log will slow it down somewhat. Again, you need lots of gpm and pressure, and the right motor.

/ making a chipper for a PT? #10  
Just some data that someone might can use.

Hydraulic Pumps & Motors

Pumping = 1 Hp = 1 GPM x 1500 Psi
(linear relationship i.e. 2 GPM @ 1500 Psi = 2 Hp)

Hp to drive hydraulic pump = Psi x GPM / 1714

Efficiency - typically assume hydraulic pump/motor efficiency of 85%

Hydraulic motor torque (in-lb) = Pressure (Psi) x motor displacement (in3/rev) / (2 x Pi)

Hydraulic motor speed (RPM) = 231 x GPM / motor displacement (in3/rev)

Hydraulic motor power (Hp) = Torque (in-lb) x RPM / 63025