Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils #1  

Old_Hickory

Platinum Member
Anyone ever try to make diesel replacement out of food grease/oils ?I have heard about people doing this. I would be interested in seeing or reading how to do this.

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils #2  
There is a fellow in this area that uses recycled restaurant oil in his VW Rabbit diesel. When he goes down the road it smells like french fries. I was behind him once, and I got an overwhelming urge to get an order of fries to eat on the way home. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils
That is funny...A Big Mac attack ?

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils #4  
Actually it was Burger King. I've been boycotting Micky D's since they started importing South American beef for their burgers. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils #5  
I was looking for info for my diesel Chevette a few years ago and found this page. There are other links there about Biodiesel.

Don't know if anyone's tried this here at TBN on their tractors or not. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils #6  
My bud runs a diesel generator with cooking oil. Biggest two problems...filtering and viscosity. The oil is dirty and really eats up filters. Also the oil is thick when cool and needs to be heated to something like 130 F to flow well enough. He runs the exhaust through a heat exchanger to preheat the tank. The initial start is done by heating the fuel with a electric heater. Once its running...its fine. Not really efficient in terms of work necessary, but its a novelty for him. He is in the business of instaling co-generation units ( electricity / heat ).

/ Making diesel fuel replace out of food grease/oils #7