Making hay is fun when everything works!

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #1  

SwingOak

Silver Member
Central Wisconsin & in the Western UP, MI
Tractor
'65 IH Cub Lo-Boy, '13 Kioti DK50SE HST, '20 Kioti RX7320
I've been showing my girlfriend how to make hay. She's a quick study and she really loves farming. I think I can count on her to do whatever needs doing when I'm not around - unless something breaks because she's handy, but not very mechanically inclined. I absolutely love her though, and she's definitely a keeper! I may have to upgrade some of the more temperamental equipment in the next couple of years (I'm looking at you, Mr. New Holland 467 Haybine...)

So I made a movie of our first cutting, which we finally got off the field last weekend. I've been traveling a lot for work this season and haven't been around when the weather was right:

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #2  
You may want to say “making hay is fun when everything works and you aren‘t trying to make hay for a living.
Nothing I have done is much much harder than growing, cutting, raking, baling & storing and then hopefully selling all your hay.
If making hay and the outcome doesnt much matter, then yes it’s fun.

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #3  
If you are making small square bales without the ancillary handling equipment It’s just hard work.

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #4  
One of my long term goals is to make my own round bales, so I enjoy watching video's of people doing their own hay. I especially liked seeing those square bales shoot out into the wagon!!!

/ Making hay is fun when everything works!
I like making hay, and I don't mind the work. I do sell my hay, but not for a living. Even so, when stuff breaks, weather doesn't cooperate, too much rain, not enough rain, too humid, constant heavy smoke from Canadian forest fires, and miserable people as hay customers etc. it definitely takes the fun out of it.

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #6  
Hay Dude is right on. I'm very glad I have just one customer that takes it all and has for 5 years now. Everything in netted rounds. I never touch any of it physically except to test the moisture content prior to bailing. I never ted it either though I do own a tedder. You don't ted alfalfa. If you do, it suffers leaf loss.

Fields get mowed with a discbine and run through the crimp rolls in a wide swath, let it dry down and rake it with a rotary (I have a Kuhn as well but mine is 3 point mount not a trailer), then it gets round bailed in net and I load the rounds in the fields directly on my customer's semi trailers and down the road it goes.

With alfalfa, the less it's handled the better it is. I do it all with 2 tractors and the hay tools. No touch except to load net rolls in the round bailer.

Once the rounds are off, I'll go over the fields with the bat wing chopper and then come back in and apply fertilizer. Either 28 liquid Urea or 46 granulated prills.

This year it's 28 because the price of clay coated prills has went out of sight.

I liked you video but that isn't for me.

Way back when I did idiot cubes but not for the last 5 years at least.

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #7  
I bale hay for the Wife's horses. I can't say it is fun but it is rewarding when everything works and hay is in the barn off your own land. 2005 DK45, Hesston 1091 Haybine, New Idea 420 Rake, MF 120 baler. Rebuilt the sickle bar and replaced the hydraulic lines & idler wheel on the haybine this year. Everything get lots of grease and oil. Had to do it ourselves since the folks around us only do big lots or are retired.

Last edited:
   / Making hay is fun when everything works! #8  
I like making hay, and I don't mind the work. I do sell my hay, but not for a living. Even so, when stuff breaks, weather doesn't cooperate, too much rain, not enough rain, too humid, constant heavy smoke from Canadian forest fires, and miserable people as hay customers etc. it definitely takes the fun out of it.
Mmm hmm

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #9  
Talk of making hay often leads to comments about “bad customers”, especially when discussing small squares. This amuses me - if you don’t like a customer segment, don’t sell to that segment. Making hay is hard, and marketing is too. I would rather sell a thousand bales of hay to “bad” customers than have it sit unsold in my barn….

/ Making hay is fun when everything works! #10  
I've been showing my girlfriend how to make hay. She's a quick study and she really loves farming. I think I can count on her to do whatever needs doing when I'm not around - unless something breaks because she's handy, but not very mechanically inclined. I absolutely love her though, and she's definitely a keeper! I may have to upgrade some of the more temperamental equipment in the next couple of years (I'm looking at you, Mr. New Holland 467 Haybine...)

So I made a movie of our first cutting, which we finally got off the field last weekend. I've been traveling a lot for work this season and haven't been around when the weather was right:

Great videos - thanks for sharing. I noticed your preservative system - good to have here in the UP! I looked at one this year but they wanted $7k! Bought a no-till drill instead