Making money with credit card

/ Making money with credit card #1  

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT 2801fd Loader
For the past 10 years or so I started using my cc for everything I would normally write checks for, utilities, insurance, food, gas,property tax, etc. Each month I pay the balance the statement shows. Therefore I do not pay interest on the card, secondly, I get points worth cash, every 4 months I build up 350.00 to 400.00 cash value. I apply the cash to my cc card balance. In past 10 years I have paid Credit card company zero, nada,zip and they have paid me over 9,000.00 cash over 10 years.
Thought this might be worth mentioning, for the ones that are unaware. Whatever you buy on cc make sure you can pay at statement time.

/ Making money with credit card #2  
We make 2% cash back on all purchases…and pay it off every month. Crazy they are paying us to use the card. We have been doing this for at least 15 years (long ago it was .5% though). They have probably bought me a car by now.

/ Making money with credit card #3  
They charge us 3% to run a card so I mark everything up to cover the cost. So it really doesn’t make money. JMO

/ Making money with credit card #4  
They charge us 3% to run a card so I mark everything up to cover the cost. So it really doesn’t make money. JMO
some do most dont. stores will charge you the same whether your paying cash, check or credit card. usually only gas stations offer a cash discount. most other places dont. the state of Idaho adds 3% if you use CC to pay for permits or licenses online.

no one will ever convience me you dont make money using CC as long as balance is paid in full. ive been using my Citi Double Cash card for years in my business. id purchase $250,000 a year worth of generators on the card and earn 2% back. did this for many years. there was no discount offered by company for personal check or money order. all ways cost the same.

i now get 5% off of fuel bill, plus 2% on everything else. even if i took advantage of the $0.10 per gal cheaper cost at the pump for cash, im saving $0.15 per gallon (5% of $3 diesel) by using card. again, saving more than using cash.

/ Making money with credit card #5  
Most mark it up to the same price regardless of how you pay in order to cover the fees on credit cards. This is because it has become so popular for people to use them with the incentives. It is a part of our company burden on the P&L.

/ Making money with credit card #6  
For the past 10 years or so I started using my cc for everything I would normally write checks for, utilities, insurance, food, gas,property tax, etc. Each month I pay the balance the statement shows. Therefore I do not pay interest on the card, secondly, I get points worth cash, every 4 months I build up 350.00 to 400.00 cash value.
Wow, you must spend a LOT of money to generate that much cashback!! o_O I'm lucky to generate $70-80/year.
some do most dont. stores will charge you the same whether your paying cash, check or credit card. usually only gas stations offer a cash discount. most other places dont.
Never heard of a gas station offering a discount for cash. Almost sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth...go in store, stand in line, prepay, pump, go back inside, stand in line, get change, all to save 50¢ on a fill up.
Occasionally a small mom & pop business will give a cash discount, but it's rare.

/ Making money with credit card #7  
Some gas stations do offer a discount for cash, usually ones that cater to big rigs.

The battery for my cell phone got old a few months ago. We went in to get a new one and the girl said I could get a new phone and we would actually lower our bill. I figured there was a catch. There was, I had to sign up for their credit card. It really turned out to be a deal, new phone and our bill is $30 a month less, no gimmick really and their cash back is roughly equal to Discover Card. Of course they count on people carrying a balance to make up for those of us that pay off every month.

/ Making money with credit card #9  
You're doing what you are supposed to do, but it's not what most people do... they give you the 1-2% back to entice you to use it and over spend, but those that do what you and I do are well within their safety margin with the 20% interest that the people that carry a maxxed out balance pay for... I think I have a $8500 limit on my card, but even building my shop I haven't had more than $2000 on it, and I think I've only paid $20 in interest in all these years... just from forgetting a couple times

In the 10 years I've had my cash back card I probably get back a couple hundred a year now that I put everything but my mortgage payment on it... about every 2 months I get an email saying it automatically transferred my 2500 points into $25 into my bank account or credit card (I don't remember, same bank so it doesn't matter, just pay it online)

/ Making money with credit card #10  
We have been using credit cards that pay us back for years which has saved/earned us a bunch of money. We pay off the credit card every month. No balance.

We have a couple of cards that give us cash back and a couple that give us points that we use for plane flights. Still not convinced the flight points are as good of a deal, or better than cash, but we still do it. Our next trip should be to Europe and we should not have to pay cash for the plane tickets. Those tickets would be expensive. The questions at this point is will we be able to get to Europe, should we go, and will tickets prices be too expensive but that is all due to the pandemic and not the fault of the credit card point system.

Later,
Dan