Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #21  
RJJR,

I would probably rent a bobcat or similar with a tree snipping head and vertical grapple. You can probably cut and clamp 10 at a time and they cut at the base maybe leaving a 1-2" stump. And since they are pines they dont reshoot from the stump (at least the pines here dont).

Otherwise use your grapple and lift them stump and all - would make for a long day I think.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #22  
I agree with cowski - since this is only to be pasture, cut the stumps off as close to the ground as you can. You will dull a chain or two but you should have no trouble brush-hogging over the area.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #23  
They will clean it with rotational grazing. If you don't have grazing and browsing species to rotate in an area, you will need to do other work. It how all the land around here was cleared until dynamite got cheap.

Mulchers cost 1200$ an acre and up here. The up part is for rocks and big stumps. 2500$/acre is not unheard off. Cleared farm land is worth less than 1000$/acre here. Do the math for the area and see if that option makes sense I guess.

Another problem with leaving the stumps is that grass and weeds will grow, hiding the stumps. You can't depend on livestock to mow your grass in a newly cleared field. They will eat the good stuff and leave the noxious weeds to spread rapidly. Colliding with a large hidden stump can do serious damage to your tractor and/or bush hog.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps
Wow!

Love coming back to a thread to find so much info. I haven't looked at David's info (mossflower stuff) but look forward to it. Also got a few PMs with some good links. Really appreciate it.

I look ahead when I'm planning projects. I'd like to get this one down before snow, but with the other projects on the list (you guys ever have a thread where you compare the number of projects on your lists? I bet we all think we have the most...) it's hard to say.

It really seems like I'll be burning over chipping as I can use the ash over the organic material. I'll spread the ash and cinders around and probably end up getting some lime up there.

I'll probably leave the stumps and see how much trouble it is with them. Cheaper that way, but may be an issue later if I get a grinder up there. Be a drag to get a grinder up when the new pasture roots aren't holding the soil very well.

I'll see if I can get a rake, discs or chain harrow up there, depending on the stump issue. I'll be using the animals to put some seed down (I'll seed and scatter hay, and let them stamp it in) throughout the seasons, and we'll see what kind of forage I can get. I'll never be able to get any "fancy" seeding done with all the rocks, I can't even do it with my other pasture.

This will be a good start, feel free to keep info coming if you've got it.

Thanks.

David (the handsomest of the other names out there)

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #25  
It also depends on how fast you want to clear the land. Lots of people seem in a blazing rush to burn up their cash.

I have been gradually removing brush and trees mixed-- usually removing the trees too large to bush hog then bush hogging what is left. In those cases, typically now marginal slopes, the trees are cut off flush with the ground (also reduces erosion vs. pushing out the trees).

Trees on flatter areas are pushed over one by one if possible, or cut off with 3-4 feet left sticking up if they are resistant to pushing. When I have a mini-ex with thumb on the site the cutoffs are dug out, dirt shaken off, and the hole backfilled.

Spend 1-3hr a day, couple of times a week usually early AM on clearing, not a whole lot.

I am not too successful at cutting larger trees (over 10" or so) flush with the ground-- they always seem to stick up just enough to catch the bush hog blades (it is too much trouble to rent a grinder, which is the real solution short of digging them up or waiting).

What is amazing is that after removing a couple of trees, you don't even notice that anything changed. Even removing dozens over months, people rarely notice anything.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #26  
Wow!

Love coming back to a thread to find so much info. I haven't looked at David's info (mossflower stuff) but look forward to it. Also got a few PMs with some good links. Really appreciate it.

Thanks.

David (the handsomest of the other names out there)

David,

I'm in the same boat, too many projects, not enough $$ or time...

Seriously, I've been asking all the exact same questions. Just like the X-Files, "the answers are out there" in my threads on land clearing...

Also, where are you located?

David

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #27  
It also depends on how fast you want to clear the land. Lots of people seem in a blazing rush to burn up their cash.

I have been gradually removing brush and trees mixed-- usually removing the trees too large to bush hog then bush hogging what is left. In those cases, typically now marginal slopes, the trees are cut off flush with the ground (also reduces erosion vs. pushing out the trees).

Trees on flatter areas are pushed over one by one if possible, or cut off with 3-4 feet left sticking up if they are resistant to pushing. When I have a mini-ex with thumb on the site the cutoffs are dug out, dirt shaken off, and the hole backfilled.

Spend 1-3hr a day, couple of times a week usually early AM on clearing, not a whole lot.

I am not too successful at cutting larger trees (over 10" or so) flush with the ground-- they always seem to stick up just enough to catch the bush hog blades (it is too much trouble to rent a grinder, which is the real solution short of digging them up or waiting).

What is amazing is that after removing a couple of trees, you don't even notice that anything changed. Even removing dozens over months, people rarely notice anything.

I'm kinda knocking around the idea of clearing up 40 acres of pine plantation I currently own for pasture.

If I do it I'll have the logger clearcut the area making sure he cuts most of the stuff there low with his cutter and drag the rest down with his skidder.... then pile the slash. If needed I'll rent a dozer to hit the rough spots.

Then I'm gonna nail fence to line trees and sew clover/bahia grass.... then add cattle.

It'll look a little rough for the first few years, but trust me the cows won't mind a stump. Pasture does not =/= hay meadow.

I've helped turn overgrown land into hay meadows with tifton 44........ it is a big project.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #28  
Was going to mention, I property I look after was overgrown field cleared by chainsaw 5 years ago. I bushhog over the stumps. Last year put on the pallet forks and popped/broke apart a few stumps easily so I set the bushhog down to an inch high or so. The softened/rotted stumps are still too much to mulch with the hog, need another 5 years or so.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps
David, I'm in Newfane, Vermont. I started looking at some of your threads, hope to get to others tonight.

Love this quote, "Pasture does not =/= hay meadow." So true, although I keep looking at my pastures and wanting them to be a hayfield in looks. Good thing to remember.

Thanks again, fellas. This is great stuff.

David

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #30  
David, I'm in Newfane, Vermont. I started looking at some of your threads, hope to get to others tonight.

Love this quote, "Pasture does not =/= hay meadow." So true, although I keep looking at my pastures and wanting them to be a hayfield in looks. Good thing to remember.

Thanks again, fellas. This is great stuff.

David

David,

I've been pondering on that quote lately as well. As I keep falling behind and need to getmore pasture on-line sooner, it sounds better and better...

Vermont... Nice. :thumbsup: We shall come an visit some time... :D

David