Man gets run over by hay bine

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #1  

DanCT

Tractor
Case DX35
A local man got run over by a hay bine here the other day. Seems he had part of his seat installed wrong and the seat would pivot backwards instead of forwards like it was supposed to. He put the tractor in gear a little too quickly and, not holding on to the steering wheel too good, flipped over the back of the tractor and was run over by the haybine. The tractor kept going and ended up in the middle of a paved road, still running and in gear. The man, thankfully, is alive but pretty broken up and required some surgery. The man's son, a little later, took the tractor to move his baler out of the field and stalled it on a hill. The whole rig -having dubious or no brakes- slid backwards and jack knifed doing damage to the 3pt hitch and driveshaft of the baler.

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #2  
That's why folks should'nt run junk. We don't and we are in the commercial hay business.

I've seen people jury rig all sorts of equipment from plows to grain elevators. They always seem to bite back when you least expect it.

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #3  
so if he got run over by the haybine then i guess it must not have been running luckly, if it were running then it would have been ofset over to one side, of course he would have landed on the pto shaft and had a serious problem anyhow, but it sounds like he had it coming to him, tractor seat instaled wrong, no brakes etc. when i got my ford 8000 only one brake worked, that was the first thing i fixed, ended up putting in all new brakes, ran me over 700 bucks but there have been so many times that i have been so thankfull to have good brakes on the hills we bale around here

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #4  
hey dan, i just noticed that you too are from connecticut, whereabouts are ya in ct and where did this accident happen, i may be closer to home than i figured so to speak

/ Man gets run over by hay bine
Hi Mark, This happened in Roxbury. I live right down the road in Southbury.

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #6  
ahh ok, yea i know where that is my father works in the sewage treatment plant at the southbury training school. i know of a guy in roxbury that has a big farm too and a huge tractor collection, i sure hope it wasnt him, but i dont think he would jury rig a tractor seat like that since his tractor collection is imaculate

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #7  
That reminds me of when i went to buy my tractor we were just pulling in the parking lot and around the corner came a small 1500 i think with an old man on it with a rotary cutter we were getting out and his son said see what high gear would do..

next thing we seen was the front wheels coming off the ground a good 3-4' was the funniest thing i've seen in a long time. The old man acted like nothing happen we were all horse laughing he promply parked the tractor and left.

But alot of times people do silly things. My dad worked with a company that had a cabover truck and the cab was log chained to the frame /forums/images/graemlins/confused.giftalk about cheap..

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #8  
Is that a picture of him under your handle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Man gets run over by hay bine #9  
Dan,

I'm across the river from you in Newtown and your kind of property is getting pretty rare around our part of the world. The 49 acres across the road from me got divided into 11 lots, all sold, 9 underconstruction (speculation) and 2 of those homes are were sold at about 50% completion.

The Tax Man is making it hard for a lot of land owners to say no to the developers.

Did you buy your NH in Torrington? I looked at TC30 and TC29D there but in the end, I went GREEN.

Jim

/ Man gets run over by hay bine
Mark - It wasn't the guy in Roxbury. By the way, he recently built a HUGE barn to keep all his tractors in because he moved them there from the museum in Kent. I think he's running out of room already.

Jim - I bought the TC30 at Grunders in Torrington. They were less expensive than the other CT dealers, but they tend to be on the high side for implements.