Man killed in tractor accident

/ Man killed in tractor accident #61  
I remember the incident above and it had nothing to do with the build of the ROPS but the way it was attached. The owner bolted it to the top of the axle where the fenders bolt on rather than bolt around the axle the way it should have been. It popped a chunk out of the top of the axle housing when the tractor went back. The guy was also using a chain wrapped around the tractor wheel to try and pull up a big corner post which is also a no-no not to mention have a young inexperienced operator on the tractor. Three strikes and your dead.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #62  
I am GUESSING that some folk want to add some LIFT to their HORIZONTAL pull to get the stump out ?
I have thought about doing something unusual in this direction, e.g. hook to the top of the ROPS and pull backwards using ONLY 2WD - as I said, only THOUGHT about it as a way to get some lift, it would have other problems.
The hoe works well enough, but there is something attractive about PULLING 'em out.
When I get to using the stump grinder... things will probably get dull, though safer.

We can only speculate, study accident reports if/when thye become available and consciously avoid similar steps that might lead to similar outcomes.

However it happened it is tragic

ROPS were never designed to pull anything. Using the pull points provided (Draw Bar, Three Point) for what they were designed will do the job safely.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #63  
Couple of questions fellas..I just bought acreage in mountains and a tractor. My tractor does have a front end loader (weight) and I normally have a box scrape hanging on the rear. ASSUMING a scrape is back there I would think that would STOP any rear flipping??? I did plan on pulling some stumps....now I don't know. Maybe hooking a chain and lifting with the FEL while applying ax and chain saw persuasion would be a better idea? How did the guy pass a chain UNDER his tractor for a more forward hookup? What would you hook to?

If your tractor has 4WD and you pull from the from the front increased forces may damage your drive train over time. This is especially true if the pulling pressure is more downward.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #64  
I always pull stumps and logs with the FEL and go backwards. The more I think about it the only thing I do forwards is brush hog. I should turn the seat around on my tractor...why don't more people use the FEL to do stumps and logs?

The FEL was not designed for for the forces involved with pulling objects. Lifting and forward motion only. Light pulling is necessary on occasion. I do pull a small log now and again. The downward forces on front ends are increased with pulling from the front.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #65  
Couple of questions fellas..I just bought acreage in mountains and a tractor. My tractor does have a front end loader (weight) and I normally have a box scrape hanging on the rear. ASSUMING a scrape is back there I would think that would STOP any rear flipping??? I did plan on pulling some stumps....now I don't know. Maybe hooking a chain and lifting with the FEL while applying ax and chain saw persuasion would be a better idea? How did the guy pass a chain UNDER his tractor for a more forward hookup? What would you hook to?

You should have a drawbar just below your rear differential. That's where you want to hook up for any pulling.

Your tractor has a ROPS. That will prevent a complete rear rollover and, as long as you're seatbelted in, should prevent life threatening injiuries if the tractor did flip up.
I do (occasionally) have a ballast box on my 3PH when pulling anything. I just keep it high enough for the chain to pull under it. But I wouldn't depend on it in a rear roll over.

/ Man killed in tractor accident #66  
A short and scary event that occurred to us last summer. Curly Dave was talking about pulling/lifting with the FEL.....
My daughter, first time on a trator, was in the seat.....:( I was in front hooking a chain to little saplings that were still standing after bush hogging. I wanted the last 6" and roots out of my field. We had lifted about 5 out with the FEL with no problem. The 6th, quick as a flash, lifted the rear wheels, almost launched my daughter out of the seat and scared me to death. Obviously, the loader should have been lifted much slower. I should have had the disk or box scraper on the rear for weight. Maybe we should have pulled... and not lifted at all. Anyway, after our heart rate slowed up we learned lessons.
Be careful out there, guys (and gals):ashamed:

/ Man killed in tractor accident #67  
...The 6th, quick as a flash, lifted the rear wheels, almost launched my daughter out of the seat and scared me to death. Obviously, the loader should have been lifted much slower.

Sounds like your daughter wasn't wearing the seatbelt, either...

/ Man killed in tractor accident #68  
You're right, Roy. I ALWAYS wear it on inclines (tilts) but not on level....dumb maybe :ashamed: