Manifold grease fitting

/ Manifold grease fitting #21  
On an exhaust manifold it would be to fit a rectal thermometer! LOL

Mind U I know of some engines that had remote quick start installations that would have needed some pipeing going back to the dash from the intake manifold.
Had a Deere 510 with such a set up.

That or water injection to boost HP as in WW2 aircraft,

/ Manifold grease fitting #22  
I noticed the manifold in the link had 8 ports. Isn't the engine on the MF35 a 4-cyl? Is this a combination exhaust and intake manifold with that port being a place to check manifold vacuum?

/ Manifold grease fitting #23  
I noticed the manifold in the link had 8 ports. Isn't the engine on the MF35 a 4-cyl? Is this a combination exhaust and intake manifold with that port being a place to check manifold vacuum?

Jim,

Check post #11.

Steve

/ Manifold grease fitting #25  
Jim,

Check post #11.

Steve

Hey! I'm a day late and a $ short, but at least I called it right.:D I swear I didn't notice the answers in the thread, but I'd have probably forgotten them at my advanced age anyhow.:ashamed:;)

/ Manifold grease fitting #26  
By the way, that would be a 1/8" NPT plug....

/ Manifold grease fitting #27  
>snip Now I have to try to get the manifold off without breaking any of the studs. I'll be back on this website if I do, to figure out how to deal with that problem:laughing:
<snip

Lots of luck on getting the exhaust manifold off without breaking any studs. Lots of penetrating oil, maybe some heat, lots of good luck, is what that takes :)

Remember back in the old days ('40s - '50s) where almost every car had a metal tube running from the manifold, either intake or exhaust? One for timing advance and one for choke heat? Those were really a pain - and usually broke off or frozen so you couldn't remove it. Thank goodness for modern electronics!

/ Manifold grease fitting
Thanks for all the advice. The manifold is OFF without a hitch. The nuts seemed to loosen fairly easily making me think it's been done before since the 1962 production of this particular tractor. I almost thought I was going to have to cut the old manifold off in pieces just to get to some of the nuts:confused2: It they were really rusted on that probably would have been my only option.

/ Manifold grease fitting #29  
Thanks for all the advice. The manifold is OFF without a hitch. The nuts seemed to loosen fairly easily making me think it's been done before since the 1962 production of this particular tractor. I almost thought I was going to have to cut the old manifold off in pieces just to get to some of the nuts:confused2: It they were really rusted on that probably would have been my only option.

You're a lucky man, get out and buy a lottery ticket.:D

/ Manifold grease fitting
Not just yet. I still need to get the old gasket off, put on the new gasket and manifold, hook it up to the carb, make sure I don't drop a nut into the engine:laughing:, reattach the muffler, and then fire it up. This is the first time I've ever attempted anything like this, and though it appears to be an easy task, especially after getting advice from people on this site, I'm still waiting for something to go wrong.