Manual glow plug switch

/ Manual glow plug switch #1  

Low Key

I do believe I just lost the glow plug relay in the TC40DA. I noticed a couple different times starting it the last dozen times that the glow plug light didn't come on. I thought it was odd..... Now I can't even get it to come on at all anymore. I was thinking of circumventing the $75 relay and just using a high amp switch on the dash to manually heat up the glow plugs.

Anyone been down this road ? It's starting to cool off here in NW MT and getting real hard to start her without the glow plugs. Got to get this figured out pretty quick. Gonna start snowing any day now......

I would imagine a hot lead from the battery to the glow plugs via the dash switch would suffice. Am I on the right road here ? Any help and or suggestions are much appreciated.

/ Manual glow plug switch #2  
My 1910 ford was doing the same thing...
intermitent heatup and the indicator coil would glow...sometimes, then not at all.
I replaced the glow plugs and all was good!

FWIW!

/ Manual glow plug switch #3  
Low Key, don't mess up your tractor with some jury rigged switch. Try the timer described in this link for $13.95.

/ Manual glow plug switch
Hot diggity...... For $14 that timers well worth replacing. After I trace everything to make sure connections are good and not corroded or loose or something of the sort, I'll do that first. And if that doesn't take care of it then I'll have to put some new sticks in it I guess. Unless there is possibly another issue I'm overlooking.

Thought about that link of the chain too bwhoffman, but tossed the idea of replacing the glow plugs..... I guess I'm spoiled and used to the glow plugs in my 6.0 Powerstroke, they never go bad..... never ! Sort of thought the same of them in the N/H too I guess. Especially with just under 500 hours on the machine...... I still think the machine's new !

Anyone got a line on new sticks that doesn't require getting raped by N/H to obtain ?

/ Manual glow plug switch #5  
I have a Dodge Cummins and a Mahindra 5035, both have grid heaters, and neither one probably needs the grid heaters to start easily 8 months out of the year or more. You can say 'they are designed to do it' or whatever...but the grid heaters, or glow plugs, put a huge stress on your battery and charging system. I put a switch on each to enable/disable the grids, and only use the grids when I really need them. So, plop me into the camp that 'modifies' their tractors.... [ there, I feel better... :) ]

/ Manual glow plug switch #6  
I have 1700+ hours on my tractor and the glowplugs work perfectly. I say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The TC35D/40D/45D and DA models all have premium fast-acting glowplugs.

/ Manual glow plug switch #7  
to add a bit. before I'd go with a high amp dash switch, like a starter switch.. I'd go with a low amp switch, and a high amp relay, and less high amp wireing needed.. :)

but I'd go fo a more oem fix first..e tc..

soundguy

/ Manual glow plug switch #8  
Anyone got a line on new sticks that doesn't require getting raped by N/H to obtain ?

Before guys like me figure out a way to rape you, learn how to test your glowplugs to see if in fact they need replacement. It is highly likely that they don't. Timer relay failure and glowplug failure are seldom related or simultaneous.

/ Manual glow plug switch #9  
All I did on my Mahindra is put a switch in line with the power going to the grid heater timer. Not the big high current wires. Installed a push-pull switch right near the key switch on the dash. So, when the switch is off, the timer does not get any power, thus doesn't cycle the grid heaters. On the Cummins, just put a switch in line with the two contactors. That way all the lights in the world don't dim when the grid heaters cycle in that beast... :)

/ Manual glow plug switch #10  
All I did on my Mahindra is put a switch in line with the power going to the grid heater timer. Not the big high current wires. Installed a push-pull switch right near the key switch on the dash. So, when the switch is off, the timer does not get any power, thus doesn't cycle the grid heaters. On the Cummins, just put a switch in line with the two contactors. That way all the lights in the world don't dim when the grid heaters cycle in that beast... :)

Jerry, I understand your modification and it is just the opposite of the OP's. It's easy to disable something and enable it when you need it. His problem is something doesn't work and he wanted to put in a switch to bypass the whole circuit because he would rather do that than buy a timer. That's a whole level of complexity above what you've done and quite the opposite of yours. He's far better off replacing the timer. In my opinion, I'd spend lots of money on timers before making a switch modification. As Soundguy pointed out, a switch that runs a high current relay is the standard way to do this. A switch that handles this much current and wiring to handle it is easier to say than it is to do.