Manual OR HST???

/ Manual OR HST??? #1  

GerardC

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20 GEAR.
Is it true that you lose some (PTO) power with an HST vs. a manual tranny?

/ Manual OR HST??? #2  
Yes it is . I don't remember the percentage , but it's relatively low . on the l3130 it's 25.5 pto hp Geared . 24.0 hst .
John
PS OOPS forgot to say welcome to TBN .

/ Manual OR HST???
So you could say that there really isn't much of a difference then.Which would you say is the better choice for all around use?

/ Manual OR HST??? #4  
Which is Better? is not a new question!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Manual OR HST??? #5  
You know your asking a loaded question , don't you ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Actually it comes down to use and owner preference .
I have a lot of fairly tight spots that require a lot of back and forth movement . And the wife likes to jump on it when I don't hide the keys /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So. hst was MY choice .
Overall , if you have a fairly open area to work in the manual trans (kubota term here ... GST ) will work very well .
Another thing to look at on the Kioti is the creeper gear option . It allows you to drive the tractor at very low speeds and keep the rpm up .
Without that option , I find that the hst is an advantage in as much that if the engine bogs down I just ease up on the pedal as opposed to down shifting . the rpm stays the same .
It all comes down to personal preference and use .
I suggest you try both types of transmissions . John

/ Manual OR HST???
Thanks for the link.

/ Manual OR HST???
I have 3 1/2 acres that I will be trenching,digging,filling,landscaping,and mowing.

/ Manual OR HST??? #8  
I have the LB 1914 and Cerb made a good point I never thought of. I have the high and low range and I use the Low Range when I run my tiller to keep the RPMs up and just crawl along. I have the shuttle shift so it's the next best thing to Hydro. My wife drives it all the time and my 12 year old daughter loves driving it in our pasture. As for loader work it isn't an issue just pull in, step on the clutch pull on the shuttle lever and back on out.
The foot throttle and the throttle control lever is a great option that I'm not sure all the others offer.
Looks like I have something to checkout now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No matter where you go, There you are!!!!

/ Manual OR HST??? #9  
If you're going to be doing real ground engaging work, like plowing, sub soiler etc. you may prefer the manual transmission. I have Kioti CK20HST and absoulutely love having the ability to just go straight to F or R while having both hands on the wheel and almost no stop in between. I find I get things done much faster than before with gear trans. I never had shuttle, but I'm sure I would have adapted, and that the time difference between HST and Shuttle would be negligible. The HST offers independent PTO when some manuals do not. Without it, the tractor can be pushed ahead by a spinning mower so in close work can be difficult. It's def. HST for me. John