Manufactured Housing Water Heaters

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Those store bought w.h. pans are no good ,too small. )</font>

And I had exactly the opposite problem. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The smallest ones Lowe's and Home Depot had were 24" I.D. and 26" O.D. And it had to fix into a compartment that was 24" square, but with both inlet and outlet 3/4" water lines, as well as the pop off drain pipe coming up through the floor; no room to put a drain pan larger than 22".

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters #12  
Maybe I should refrain. When talking about the water heaters being the same I was referring to electric. Your are right about both the furnace and gas water heater, they do have the combustion inlet usually as part of the flue. Combustion outside flue gas internal pipe.

But today we have sealed combustion furnaces with zero clearances and they still can't be used in mobile homes unless they state approved for mobile homes.

murph

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters #13  
Bird, I worked in the mobile home manufacturing for 20 years, pre 1975. Don't know about today, but they used to tell us the only difference between the 1 year mobile home water heater & a 10 or more year home water heater was the price. You just had to pay more for the longer warranty.

I think the primary reason for the outside door is combustion air. Supposedly the closet is sealed off from the interior of the house with vents to the outside.

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters
Neal, that would certainly make sense for a gas water heater, but all the ones I've had anything to do with were electric.

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters #15  
murph, I went to a customer's mobile home a few months ago to install a set of gas logs that she had bought. I wouldn't install the logs because they didn't state mobile home approved.( She got them for a good close out price) .Ya know, the old liability issue.

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters #16  
Yep our insurance company won't let us install anything unless approved. Things like ventless heaters, we won't or can't touch them anymore. In fact we can no longer even sell parts to customers to install.

murph

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bird, I don't know much about manufactured housing other than I have an uncle who has gotten extremely (to the 10th degree) wealthy by selling them for the last 20 years or so. I tried to give him a call to ask about what you mentioned, but he is vacationing in Maui this month. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Silly me, I forgot that. I knew he and his family go there this month but fly back in time to go to their suite at the Indy 500 later this month.

Anyway, one guy who works for him told me that they use State water heaters, but had never heard of "Scout". He told me that their State water heaters had a 10 year warranty. They not only sell double wide homes, but also 2 story double wide ones. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They have 2 50 gallon water heaters in them; some electric and some gas. He told me that they are putting up a 2 story double wide this week which also has a full basement! <font color="red">Holy cow, when did they get into the 3000 sq ft. plus manufactured housing?! </font> )</font>
<font color="red"> This is an example of why these homes get sold short. </font>
The General populace is sorely ill informed about them hence one of the reasons there are so many myths about them.

I've seen builders hype certain advances in stick built construction as the latest technology and yet the Mobile home and Manufactured housing industries had been offering the same features in their homes as much as 10 years before they were ever offered in conventional housing.

/ Manufactured Housing Water Heaters #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you have enough room ,you can go to a tin shop & have them build you a larger w.h. pan.Those store bought w.h. pans are no good ,too small. I think the only difference in mobile home water heaters vs others is the inlet & outlet water connections on the side.I installed 1 in a mobile home today ' I got it at lowes for $188.00 less than standard house w.h. $.198.00.
<font color="red"> I can tell you from experence that anything installed in a mobile home must state that it is approved for mobile homes </font> .
Tank warranty is determined by size or number of anodes in the tank. )</font>
<font color="red">Isn't it amazing that a builder can slap the same crap in a house that was rejected by the MH manufacturer? </font>