Maple Syrup

/ Maple Syrup
vtsnowedin you a member on the Maple trader too? I am, under the same name as here on TBN.

/ Maple Syrup #22  
I went to the Highland County Va. maple syrup fest a few years ago. Deep fried pork skins were the best. Bought a tin of maple syrup to take home and once home, looked at the bottom of the tin... made in china!

mark
Mark if you got the syrup in last few years it came from vermont not mt, rogers. all the maples got destoried in a storm several years back and they have had to get there syrup from vermont. i think they are making there own again now, the festival comming up next month get pancakes and maple syrup all day at mt rogers school.

/ Maple Syrup #23  
Nice Mike. My deceased Father in Law dabbled in making some Maple Syrup. I never realized how much work went into those small jars they sell. I'm very appreciative as to the effort that goes into that fine taste. Thanks for sharing. -robert

/ Maple Syrup #24  
vtsnowedin you a member on the Maple trader too? I am, under the same name as here on TBN.

Yup but like I said I haven't been on there lately. I only got one run last year and made just three gallons. Got busy with work over the summer and shopping for my 5045E which will let me break roads in my sugar bush and add on more taps. Hopeing for 50 gallons this year. I have a 3x8 Grimm raised flue.

/ Maple Syrup #25  
My wife comes out by afternoon and joins us and keeps asking "whats the temperature now" !!! my reply ......"Not yet dear ! a little longer ! can you get me another beer "

That's cheeky! LOL

/ Maple Syrup #26  
A story on the news recently told of a meth lab bust... was actually a guy making maple syrup. Law enforcement departments are despert for funding... those $80.000 cars they ride around need to be paid for... and tax dollars won't do the job.

mark

/ Maple Syrup #27  
Anyone doing this in southern Indiana? I have 23 acres of mostly sugar maple I would like to tap but don't have the experience or equipment. I would sure like to get involved.
Jeff

/ Maple Syrup #28  
Anyone doing this in southern Indiana? I have 23 acres of mostly sugar maple I would like to tap but don't have the experience or equipment. I would sure like to get involved.
Jeff
23 acres of sugar maples would be quite a bush if the trees have any size to them. What are your daytime temps there now? If it is not below freezing at night and in the high thirty's during the day the season might already be over for you.
Here is a local (to me) suppliers web site if you want to brows and dream.
Maple Supplies and Equipment - Bascom Maple Farms - Home

/ Maple Syrup #29  
23 acres of sugar maples would be quite a bush if the trees have any size to them. What are your daytime temps there now? If it is not below freezing at night and in the high thirty's during the day the season might already be over for you.
Here is a local (to me) suppliers web site if you want to brows and dream.
Maple Supplies and Equipment - Bascom Maple Farms - Home

Yes the trees are all good sized. Plus i have trails for good access and they are on hill sides that would be easy for stinging up tubing. Just don't want to spend a lot of money on an evaporator.

We will have those temps the next couple days but then warming up. I know timing is everything and the weather patterns we have had the last couple years would have made it tough to guess.

/ Maple Syrup #30  
Yes the trees are all good sized. Plus i have trails for good access and they are on hill sides that would be easy for stinging up tubing. Just don't want to spend a lot of money on an evaporator.

We will have those temps the next couple days but then warming up. I know timing is everything and the weather patterns we have had the last couple years would have made it tough to guess.

You can start out small, 10 to 20 taps and some plastic pails to store it in and a propane turkey fryer with a stainless steel stockpot on top. Have fun.