Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M?

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #11  
When they hook the unit up to the tractor.... Before you do a ground engaging test.. I would clean all the excess weeds and dirt off the tines, make sure it's pretty clean and have him run it for a few minutes up off the ground/ free wheeling.... if things are out of whack you'll see.... does it run quietly? if all the bearing surfaces are good and well lubed, and the machine is at idle or just above with the PTO engaged.... That tiller should run smooth and quiet, then bring it up to operating speed, it should still be smooth. If not, knock something off the price.

I don't think you can do too badly... The thing is probably worth $500 in scrap... LOL

Regards,
Chris

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #12  
I have used H205 72 HP tractor and it did work great. The only problem with the H series is after 40Hours of operation the blades are half wear and it is not cutting or gripping any more i think it is because of the angle of the blades with them using an extra blade but it was a gear drive though.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M?
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check all those things out and see if I can haggle with him on price a little.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #14  
I have used H205 72 HP tractor and it did work great. The only problem with the H series is after 40Hours of operation the blades are half wear and it is not cutting or gripping any more i think it is because of the angle of the blades with them using an extra blade but it was a gear drive though.

Something wrong for sure if you can detect any wear in 40 hours of use. I have several hundred hours on my tillers without much wear.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #15  
I am ok with the wear at 40hrs i am using it in a hard surface but the point is the blades are suppose to wear out fully before it start not to grip or cut but it is not wearing out throughout I think it's because of the angle they mount the blades.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #16  
Something wrong for sure if you can detect any wear in 40 hours of use. I have several hundred hours on my tillers without much wear.

Agreed. You need to check the type of soil the tiller was used in. If abrasive they will wear and if not abrasive, such as clay, they will take a while to wear. The blades are pretty tough and I have been unable to damage or wear mine very much in our soft clay with few rocks. If the tiller was used in really rocky ground you will see impact marks or dents under the tiller and the backside of the rear lid.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M?
I meet the seller and he had it all hooked up to his tractor (older Kubota M). Looked really good. No dings in the plating anywhere. Only physical item I noticed that the rear flap had a kink in it from the tiller being backed up and hitting an object, but that should be easy enough to fix I would think. Really mostly a cosmetic thing.

So I had him raise it off the ground and start it up at idle. No noise at all except if I put my ear right next to the chain cover. Same thing at full 540 rpm speed. The tine shaft (and tines) were all straight as an arrow. After he shut is all down, I checked the set screw for adjusting the chain. It had never been adjusted since new. Still had paint over the whole length of the shaft. Got the nut loose after quite of work, the shaft after even more work, and then started to adjust in. It only took 3 turns before it was tight, so I backed it out one turn and then had him run it again. Couldn't really tell any difference from a sound standpoint (still very quited). After he shut it down again, I checked for play, and there was none to speak of. The PTO shaft would start to turn after moving a tine tip like 1/32" or less.

Offered him $1300 despite finding absolutely nothing wrong and he was firmly decline and said that he probably had it listed low to begin with. I agreed and we settled on the asking price of $1500.

Got it sitting on the back of my truck at a lodge in Gatlinburg, TN. Decided to make it a family trip and we'll be making the rest of the trip back home tomorrow.

Looking forward to putting it to use after I change out what I'm sure is the original oil. I believ the tines are all original too and show no where near the wear that I thought they would. I think this was a real good buy!

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #18  
Sounds really great. It must have very little use on it from the amount you had to tighten the adjusting screw. By the way, you are supposed to tighten the screw in and then abck it off one to two turns for the adjustment. Good luck and keep us posted. Photos always appreciated.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #19  
Sounds like you saved yourself some serious money on a tiller. Have a safe trip back.

/ Maschio H205 - too light duty for JD 5085M? #20  

We used to use 3 x 80inch rotavators on 80hp tractors growing 120 acres of potatoes and at 8 inches deep we would often change blades twice a week