Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #1  

shane2loco4u

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 383
06 Massey Ferguson cab 4x4 5455 with dyna-4. Parked the tractor working fine now it will not turn over. Not getting power to the starter solenoid wire. I can jump across to the solenoid and get the tractor to run but it will not move, range selector will not light up and shift lever on the column does nothing when shifted. The e-brake sensor is working and lights up on the dash. I've read it may be a clutch pedal safety sensor but there are 2 sensors I can see. Can anyone help me with testing the sensors or maybe I'm missing another safety switch. Thanks in advance

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #2  
Are u parking it outside uncovered.??
I think the least expensive way to go, other than actually doing some testing, would be to replace the key switch.??
Sorry for your troubles.. I know that can be frustrating..

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #3  
I wouldn’t replace the key switch just yet. Use a test light at the key and see if one terminal gets “hot” when turned to the “start” position. If it responds correctly, the key switch is OK. Follow the power downstream toward the starter as far as you can. Use a test light, not a digital volt meter. (volt meters can indicate 12 volts where there is not enough current to light up a flashlight bulb, much less a starter solenoid)

Another way to check where your missing solenoid power “ends” is to “reverse search” for it.

Unhook the solenoid activation wire at the solenoid, then power the wire up with a jumper wire (from the battery) and use a test light to test for power. It will be complicated without a schematic, but find the correct color or code number, then follow it “upstream” until your test light won’t light. It may very well end at one of those safety switches. In fact, those switches might be a good place to search for power, from either side of it. Remember, if looking “downstream” from the key, the key must be turned to the “start” position in order for the test light to illuminate.

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #4  
There are two neutral start switches, one on the clutch and one on the PTO. Make sure the PTO is off and/or that switch is working correctly too.

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over
The tractor stays stored inside. From what I've read online if one of the safety sensors is bad it will not allow the tractor to start. At the clutch pedal there are two sensors one with a plug and one with two wire connectors connected to the sensor. From there the wires go into a massive wire harness. Does anyone know which one one is the safety switch? I haven't looked at the pto I'll dig into that one next. What is the best way to check the sensors to find the bad one? I have a good volt meter. Thanks in advance

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #6  
Well, when the starter (key) is actuated, one safety switch terminal should get 12 volts. If the safety switch is OK and then the clutch is depressed (I assume that is necessary to allow the power to continue on towards the solenoid) then both terminals should have 12 volts. When you let go of the key, power ceases to flow towards the starter solenoid and neither terminal will be hot.
Another temporary fix is to unplug the sensor and jump the two harness wires with a short piece of wire, like half of a paper clip. That action will bypass the safety switch and deliver power towards the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position, assuming all other interrupters (fuse) (PTO safety switch) (wire connections) are closed.
There can also be an open somewhere on that route which precludes power from completing its journey to the solenoid. Might be a wire unplugged somewhere, corroded, rubbed thru, broken, etc.
Can be tough to find, but if the key switch delivers power when actuated and the solenoid isnt getting it, there is an open somewhere in between.
Again, be wary of using a voltmeter, as it may indicate 12 volts even if there is a poor connection. You need a load to truly see if the circuit can deliver adequate power to its destination. A voltmeter is not a load.
And when using a test light, always “test the test light” first.
Don’t lose heart. Keep searching. The problem is there, just waiting for you to discover it. And you will feel really good when you do. Good Luck!

Last edited:
   / Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #7  
Get the wiring diagram, a volt-ohm meter and trace it out.
Do you have the owners manual with the diagrams in the rear?

I have the tractor repair/user manual in CD form and it has the wiring diagrams for the whole tractor. I've been studying them, though they are a little vague and hard to flip between pages on a computer I'm going to get it licked. Thank y'all for your help, I'll trace and test and return with my results.

/ Masser Ferguson 5455 dyna-4 will not turn over #9  
Check weather you have a line fuse at or close to the battery. Mine failed and I had no start and no gear lights( should light up when the key is turned on). Once fuse was replaced it was all go.

I wanted to update my findings. Issue solved, the clutch safety switch was bad. There are 2 switches on the clutch so it took some digging to figure out which. Finally got it by checking resistance on the switch which is a booger to get to. Thanks everyone for the help.