Massey 135 Barn Find

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #61  
I tried this approach and the top ring of the sleeve broke off the liner and the liner started to move down. Is there any harm in pushing the assembly (sleeve and piston) down the bore if the top ring has already popped off? There is no way to push it up without damaging the rod that's still connected...

The piston/rings are obviously seized to the cylinder wall since you've broken the lip off the cylinder sleeve while trying to free the piston. Assuming that you have disconnected the connecting rod from the crankshaft, removing the piston/rings/sleeve as an assembly seems to be required, where using a little ingenuity you could fashion a special tool to drive the cylinder sleeve up and out of the block. If all else fails, you could also use a piece of hardwood shaped to match the curvature of the cylinder sleeve to drive it out with. Note that driving the piston/rings/sleeve down could cause damage to the block because there is likely a jagged edge remaining where the lip broke off the cylinder sleeve.

Alternatively, you could simply leave the piston/rings/sleeve assembly in place and let the machine shop handle it using a shop press.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #62  
G,Day mr Kid .
This is what i am suggesting zsink do! By removing or reducing the friction between the liner and the block will make it easier to get out, Bear in mind the liners when new can be pushed in with a block of wood and a small hammer ,they are not that tight in the block.
When running the con rod will see tons of load on the bearings, I dont think Tapping a piece of wood with a hammer will exert anything near that pressure???.
Without seeing the engine I cannot say But I would not be surprised if the owner said he honed the two free cylinders and fitted a new liner ,and a full set of rings .

Happy days .
Hutch.

P.S. Pay for my ticket and i will come over and do the job for you.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
G,Day mr Kid .
This is what i am suggesting zsink do! By removing or reducing the friction between the liner and the block will make it easier to get out, Bear in mind the liners when new can be pushed in with a block of wood and a small hammer ,they are not that tight in the block.
When running the con rod will see tons of load on the bearings, I dont think Tapping a piece of wood with a hammer will exert anything near that pressure???.
Without seeing the engine I cannot say But I would not be surprised if the owner said he honed the two free cylinders and fitted a new liner ,and a full set of rings .

Happy days .
Hutch.

P.S. Pay for my ticket and i will come over and do the job for you.

Are you thinking that replacing the one cylinder as an assembly and honing the other two and fitting new rings is a good approach? I loaded the engine into my truck tonight and it's off to a machine shop shortly...
Thanks!

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #64  
G,Day zsink.
As said Without seing the condition the engine is in, It could be possible that by as i have said honing the two GOOD cylinders and replacing the liner ,piston and a FULL set of rings that is all three cylinders.
It is possible that when the engine is stripped down and a proper assesment can be carried out It could be that is all it needs ,as you say the tractor is new .
HappyDays .
Hutch.

Hutch .

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #65  
I'm not sure if you have the desire to try an in-frame overhaul on your own but there are fairly inexpensive kits out there you can get that include new liners, link is just the first one that popped up after a search for this type of kit.

I understand your concern with the pitting, doesn't sound like you've had any luck with it freeing up yet but it might still be worth having a look for yourself once it is.

IK643 - In Frame Overhaul-Rebuild Kit [IK643] - $185.99 : Madison Tractor Company, Quality Farm Tractor Parts, Great Prices

What is it you're going to have the machine shop do for you? Are you planning to do anything with the head or have you had a chance to look at it, with a low hour engine it may not be necessary but I've always been reluctant to tighten up the bottom end of a motor without considering the top end, might be worth considering if you purchase a kit with new guides / seals.

Was away on business myself these past few days, glad to hear you're making progress.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #66  
Are you thinking that replacing the one cylinder as an assembly and honing the other two and fitting new rings is a good approach?

Personally, I think that only replacing one cylinder is asking for trouble. Besides, buying one cylinder sleeve and replacement rings for all the cylinders probably wouldn't be much cheaper than simply buying a basic engine kit. You might save a few bucks now, but it'll probably cost you more in the long run. IMHO

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #67  
G,Day Massey WV.
Considering the tractor has done less than one hundred hours and after a thorough inspection and measurement , would replacing all three liners with Chinese Parts be a good idea .
Replacing parts for just for the sake of it to me does not make a whole lot of sense or is it The "Challenge" you look forward to!!!
Regards.
Hutch.

/ Massey 135 Barn Find
I ordered a full set of parts from the dealer, I'm afraid that the other cylinders have a touch of rust pitting and rings that are in an un-known state. I was also concerned about replacing old parts with China specials. I ordered the new parts from the dealer but I believe they are aftermarket (China), the dealer said that they had no trouble with them... We will see...
IMG-20120817-00498.jpg

IMG-20120817-00499.jpg

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #69  
shona13 said:
G,Day Massey WV.
Considering the tractor has done less than one hundred hours and after a thorough inspection and measurement , would replacing all three liners with Chinese Parts be a good idea .
Replacing parts for just for the sake of it to me does not make a whole lot of sense or is it The "Challenge" you look forward to!!!
Regards.
Hutch.

Makes perfect sense Frank. Why fix something that's not broke. :thumbsup: -robert

/ Massey 135 Barn Find #70  
With a machine shop doing the work, from a price perspective at least, it makes sense to only do the one. If I were going to do it myself I'd probably do all three, why not while you have it tore down. I'm a fix it when it's broke kind of guy but to have it tore down would get the best of me. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, would also want to take a look at the valve train, been sitting for 40ish years.