Massey 1526 won't start

/ Massey 1526 won't start #11  
Not sure about a 1526, but late GC2300 series had an issue with ground cables breaking. You might want to check that -- symptoms are the same. All dash lights, etc but no crank. Seat switch on my GC is NC, BTW.

/ Massey 1526 won't start
Thanks to you all for the ideas and suggestions. I had hoped to work on it last evening, but after working 11 hours in the cold and getting home later than usual, the best I could do was to get a charger on the battery, just incase this machine is voltage sensitive. When I put a meter on the battery Sunday, it seemed fine at nearly 13 volts, but the charger can't hurt. Supposed to be even colder today, so I'm not sure if I'll work on it this evening, either.

/ Massey 1526 won't start #13  
Ever bother to load test the battery? Always start with the easiest and most acessable components. Just because the battery shows 14+ volts static don't mean squat. Load test it with a carbon pile resistance tester first, the clean the terminals and clamps as well as the negative chassis ground and then proceed.

/ Massey 1526 won't start
I put a charger on it overnight and was able to start it this evening, so it looks like the simplest answer might be the correct one. Thank you very much to all the guys who chimed in with suggestions. It was those suggestions that grounded me and helped me with troubleshooting.

I feel stuck in the past, when a weak battery would give you a clattering solenoid or a weak response from the starter.

/ Massey 1526 won't start #15  
I put a charger on it overnight and was able to start it this evening, so it looks like the simplest answer might be the correct one. Thank you very much to all the guys who chimed in with suggestions. It was those suggestions that grounded me and helped me with troubleshooting.

I feel stuck in the past, when a weak battery would give you a clattering solenoid or a weak response from the starter.
Glad it started for you AND hope it was just a weak battery. It is still possible (unless you are able to start it over the next few days, etc.) that you have one of those "insufficient voltage at the solenoid" cases which might have been solved by using the 13.8 or so volts from your charger. Was the starter connected when you finally started the tractor? If not then you just had a weak battery. If the starter WAS still connected it might be the "insufficient voltage at the solenoid" thing.

/ Massey 1526 won't start #16  
Was the starter connected when you finally started the tractor? If not then you just had a weak battery. If the starter WAS still connected it might be the "insufficient voltage at the solenoid" thing.
suspect you mean CHARGER there.