Massey 165 pulls in neutral

/ Massey 165 pulls in neutral #1  

Farm208

Tractor
Kubota 5140. Massey Ferg. 165
Yest I was subsoiling my pasture. I have a drainage ditch on the far end of the field. When approaching the ditch 3-4 times I ran the front end down and partially up the other side of the ditch. This allowed me to run the subsoiler real close to the edge of the ditch. Well the last time I put the REAR WHEELS IN THE DITCH and pushed my clutch in and stopped. When I tried to go on by letting the clutch out the motor died. This happened in reverse too. Well when i put it in neutral and then let off the clutch the tractor moved and then died.. I realized it would move in the neutral position so I then tried it and sure enough the tractor pulled out of the ditch in the neutral position. I was amazed and knew then the shift linkage had moved or something with the gears had moved. It will stay in 2nd gear and wont go in any other gear including reverse although you can shift to reverse and 1st gear. it won't shift into 2nd or 3rd. THE HIGH AND LOW RANGE WILL SHIFT and it will drive forward in both high and low positions. When you put the high-low position in neutral it does place the tractor in total neutral and will sit while idling. Can this be fixed by taking the shift levers off and working to check the shifters or gears by moving them or something else? THERE NEVER WAS A LOUD POP OR SOME NOISE to indicate something had broke.
Any help to repair would be appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Massey 165 pulls in neutral #2  
I had a similar issue with dads mf135 a few years ago. The end of tge shift lever is worn where it contacts the shift rails. Lucky for me, the rail that it popped out of was accessible thru the fill plug in the top of the trans. I was able to slide the stuck rail back into neutral and now take care to make the shift pattern very 'square'.

/ Massey 165 pulls in neutral
Thanks. I took off the full plug hole and used a large screw driver and moved the long rod closest to the plug hole. It moved very easily with no force. Checked the shiftlever and it worked great. I got blessed by this easy fix. Thanks for the help

/ Massey 165 pulls in neutral #4  
Ive found that on our old 65MF that if you get in a panic/hurry and pull up on the gearshift, this is when it happens. Try to push down on it and see if it still happens.

/ Massey 165 pulls in neutral #5  
Your probleme is the interlockers at the back off the gearbox...it needs some inspection and repairs to finely repairs your problem

/ Massey 165 pulls in neutral
Thanks for the input from all. I guess when I take it to a dealer I need to get them to check the interlockers. Anyway it's doing good. Maybe I need to slow down and shift better not pulling up on the gear lever even though it happened when I was not shifting at all. I think the quick stop in the ditch forced the levers to move