Massey 240s wet brakes

/ Massey 240s wet brakes #1  

mechdriver

My brakes have started making a grabbing noise. Where do you check the fluid for the brakes? and what fluid is supposed to keep them wet?

/ Massey 240s wet brakes #2  
My brakes have started making a grabbing noise. Where do you check the fluid for the brakes? and what fluid is supposed to keep them wet?
I beleive you either have mechanic disc or mechanical drum brakes. No fluid unless you have a bearing leaking fluid. You did say a 240 right?

/ Massey 240s wet brakes
It is a 1997 240S with wet disc brakes.

/ Massey 240s wet brakes #4  
If you have lost or don't have an operators manual. You can purchase one at www.agcopubs.com. You can also get the service and parts manuals for it there as well. Give it a few days and if no response just bump your request back to the top with a reply with the word Bump in the body of the message. We'll know what that means.

/ Massey 240s wet brakes
Bump to the top. No replies yet.

/ Massey 240s wet brakes #7  
this model should have a fill plug for the trans/rearend and a fill and drain out on each rear hub in the planetary area . These should all take standard
Hytran fluid. If the brakes are making noise or feel like they are grabbing when driving, I would check the brake linkage first. My 20F had the same problem,
thought the pto was going out while brush hogging. Upon further inspection, the brake linkage pivot pins and the arm trunions on both brackets bolting to the rear
end were froze tight. It would apply the brakes but never release them. At this point they would get hot from friction and the tractor would start to jump as they
grabbed. I ended up tearing both sides apart and drilling the pivot pins out and sandblasting all of the parts clean. The diff lock is also part of the right brake
and that was also froze. Agco had the gaskets for the housing and they were'nt much, pins were a little more.
My tractor was a road tractor with a front broom in its former life. The underneath and inside of the cab look like a salt mine. I am slowly cleaning
or replacing all of the pivots under mine. Adding some zerk fittings to the brake brackets didn't hurt either

/ Massey 240s wet brakes #8  
I can't answer your question but when you find the answer let me know. Here is an exploded view of the brakes. This is for the 240 orchard models or MF250

Service Manual

WetBrakes.jpg

/ Massey 240s wet brakes #9  
Blunderbore , that's the diagram. Make sure the pivot pin in #5 is not froze in the bracket or the actuator arm. Apply the brakes and then see if you can push the arm back.
If they don't go back with the springs, you will have to take them apart and clean, then grease the pivots. Take the adjuster nuts off of #3 and then remove the three
bolts in #5 and pull it over #3 rod. The gaskets weren't much and I'm sure the rubber boots need replacing. They can be had anywhere as they also fit a lot of Ford
models. I drilled a hole for a zerk fitting in the actuator arms into the crosspin bore. It now gets grease every time. This is really a good design, it just lives in a hostile
environment. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I just went through this last winter.

/ Massey 240s wet brakes
this model should have a fill plug for the trans/rearend and a fill and drain out on each rear hub in the planetary area . These should all take standard
Hytran fluid. If the brakes are making noise or feel like they are grabbing when driving, I would check the brake linkage first. My 20F had the same problem,
thought the pto was going out while brush hogging. Upon further inspection, the brake linkage pivot pins and the arm trunions on both brackets bolting to the rear
end were froze tight. It would apply the brakes but never release them. At this point they would get hot from friction and the tractor would start to jump as they
grabbed. I ended up tearing both sides apart and drilling the pivot pins out and sandblasting all of the parts clean. The diff lock is also part of the right brake
and that was also froze. Agco had the gaskets for the housing and they were'nt much, pins were a little more.
My tractor was a road tractor with a front broom in its former life. The underneath and inside of the cab look like a salt mine. I am slowly cleaning
or replacing all of the pivots under mine. Adding some zerk fittings to the brake brackets didn't hurt either

Can anyone point me to these fill and drain plugs?
Thanks