Massey 285 review/ info please

/ Massey 285 review/ info please #1  

nokiddin

Tractor
John Deere 2120
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some advice. I just bought an acreage and i'm in search of a tractor for general chores. Will be feeding round bales, blowing snow with 3 pt snowblower, running older small square baler, and possibly a haybine/discbine. Wil be doing 2 cuts on about 60-70 acres of dry hay.

The neighbour has a Massey 285 for sale with cab, FEL (case brand), bucket, 3 pt. Not sure of the year. Has 1600 hours and apparently light use over its life. 85 hp diesel. Asking 11, 000.

This tractor seems to have all the requirements I'll need. (I would like front wheel assist, but i think it's probably outta my price range right now). Just wondering if anyone can offer their opinions on this particular tractor. Were they any good? Any problems? Price seem appropriate?

Thanks for the help!

/ Massey 285 review/ info please #2  
I have 2 of the little brother 245 and they are a very reliable tractor. Without front wheel assist you will be traction challenged but if you can deal with that you can get a lot of work done. If the loader, or at least the bucket, is removable that will help. I actually wish I had one of the 285s without the FEL for batwing use. 81 HP to the PTO is good.

Manual clutches are a bit of a pain but depends on your use. Does it have Multipower. One of mine has 3x2 with Multipower the other has 4x2 without Multipower. I like without.

/ Massey 285 review/ info please
Thanks Tom for the info. I don't actually know if there is multi power. I haven't been able to see the tractor yet. I know manual clutches are a pain but i grew up driving a JD 3130 so the manual clutch and no front wheel assist are quite familiar to me. Glad to hear its likely a reliable tractor

/ Massey 285 review/ info please #4  
Thanks Tom for the info. I don't actually know if there is multi power. I haven't been able to see the tractor yet. I know manual clutches are a pain but i grew up driving a JD 3130 so the manual clutch and no front wheel assist are quite familiar to me. Glad to hear its likely a reliable tractor

That series of Massey were robust. The price does seem a little high but I have not seen it.

/ Massey 285 review/ info please #5  
my dad had a 285 it was a good tractor never gave any major problems it was very heavy built even has cast center front wheels it would handle an 8ft disc mower like it was nothing was good with batwing too.