Massey 65 Perkins fuel related issues

/ Massey 65 Perkins fuel related issues #1  

jjbenson

Tractor
Kubota L3400 and Massey 65 Mark II Dieselmatic, Bobcat 863H, Yanmar B50 Excavator, CAT E70B excavator, Massey 245
Hey Everyone, wanted to pick some folks brains on the fuel issues I'm having with my Massey 65, with the 203 Perkins. Yesterday while attempting, and I do mean attempting, to get my two bottom plow figured out on a food plot, I noticed a steady leak, borderline stream of fluid coming from the front of the tractor. It appears to be coming out of the breather hose, and is very fluid. Definitely not oil, and definitely not coolant, Smells like diesel, and doesn't leak unless the engine is warmed up.I Immediately checked the oil, and it's so diluted that you really can't see any oil on the dipstick. I can't imagine how fuel would be getting into the oil, other than through the injector pump, and I've read that the seal on the PS pump can leak into the crankcase as well, so my guess is the injector pump seal. I should also note that the tractor has sat for 8 months, only running for about 10 minutes during that time. So this leak could be slow, or could have just started.

I've read the the forums a little, and I'm reading that it could be either the lift pump or injector pump. I don't understand how it could be the lift pump, but the injector pump makes sense because its attached to the crankcase from the front. Either way, can anyone shed some light onto the lift pump vs injector pump seal? Is there a way to eliminate one or the other?

I replaced the lift pump last year because it leaked. Not really a leak so much as a seep.I wanted the tractor to look cleaner, and was tired of all the dirt sticking to the machine. I assumed a new pump would fix it, but a year later it looks like the old one did, and while it still looks newer, you can see fuel seeps through the gaskets and causes dirt and grime to stick to it. Is one lift pump better than another? or do they all do this?

I also replaced a few seals on the top of the injector pump housing last year, where fuel was also dripping. It stopped the leak, and is fine now. I should also note that the tractor runs like a top. Starts up in 5 seconds or less even if its 20 degrees outside.

Basic questions are:
1. is there a way to identify where the leak is coming from, injector pump seal or lift pump?
2. Are lift pumps all made the same? is one manufacturer better than another?
3. Have I damaged the engine by running it with fuel in the crankcase? Can I just change the oil and keep using it until I get this issue fixed?

Thanks again!

/ Massey 65 Perkins fuel related issues #2  
Remove the lift pump from the engine.. plug the OUT side of the pump & apply about 3-4 psi to the IN side of the pump..
Put some diluted dish soap around the suspect area & look for bubbles..

That's what "normally happens" when u do a patch job on 1 of those pumps.. U plug 1 leak {top cover} & another starts somewhere else..
"I" wouldn't run it until its fixed.. A 50.00 seal job might cost u 3000.00 if u decide to run it diluted.. NOT worth the risk.!!