Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #1  

topfli8979

Tractor
Ford 1215
Just picked up a project Massey 1010. Real clean machine. Prior owner could not get it to start after sitting a few years. He thought low compression. So... He supposedly replaced the rings, bearings and honed the cylinders. It won't start for me either, it will hit a few times with light either but just chugs smoke and won't take off. I've bleed lines, injectors. Good fuel flow. Can put my hand over intake and it tries to suck it in pretty hard. I'm looking for my compression gauges as we speak. Do these engines have to be timed with shims or at the gear on the pump?

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #2  
I have one of the little 1010s as well and they are a great little tractor. One of the re-occurring problems that I see comes from the fact that the lube oil in the injection pump is not pressure fed. So if the previous owner was not aware of this then after time the injection pump runs dry the cam wears and you are not getting enough fuel and they become increasingly difficult to start. Take the little cover off the side of the injection pump and see if it is dry.

Danno

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about fuel the pressure not being sufficient. I removed the side cover, it's not bone dry, but can't really see any standing oil.... I also removed the injection lines at the pump and turned engine over full throttle, I'm only getting "squirts" about 2 inches high.

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #4  
If you are still getting "squirts" then pump is still working. While the cover is off of the injection pump put a few ounces of fresh engine oil in the pump. The next thing are glow plugs! Are they working? These are old school engines and when they are cold they like lots of quality time with glow plugs! I don't use ether but that is how I was raised.

Danno

Well... I did compression test. Front 2 cylinders are at 300-305 psi. Rear 1st cylinder is 200 psi. I know this is my starting issue. Whats a newly ringed engine supposed to be at for compression roughly?

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #6  
The 300 psi sounds like it's in the right range? I would be curious as to why the last cylinder is at 200 psi? Anything obvious? Valves? Head gasket? How fast does it lose pressure?

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #7  
If you just overhauled the motor compression is going to be low untill the rings seat.

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #8  
Something cheap to check would be the valve clearance. If one is tight, it will leak compression.....

I got her running guys, removed the timing cover to make sure everything was good there, it was as it should be. I do think something was kinked/misaligned with the fuel shut off though. Since I put the timing cover back on It will start right up now, idles great.

My issue now is even after it's been running for 10-15 minutes, engine is warmed up. It's still requireing glow plugs to be heated every time or it won't start. And it doesn't start quick when warm, takes a good 3-5 seconds for starter to spin it fast enough to fire. I honestly feel like it's over fueling. It smokes like crazy for first few seconds of running no matter where the throttle is. Manual does not give instructions for leaning/richening the fuel pump, "certified Massey mechanic" only is what it says. I know messing with the fuel flow can lead to damage, but I just want to tweak it a bit for trial and error.

/ Massey Ferguson 1010 will not start #10  
I would start w/ TIMING.. those injection pumps dont "turn-up" by themselves..
Make a mark where it is now & loosen the bolts & turn the pump in either direction about a dimes width & lock it back down..
If that didnt help, go the other way..
DO NOT try to adjust it while running.. The pump will seize & take your hand with it..
Good luck.