Massey Ferguson 135 issues

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #1  

BigHoss165

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165, massey Ferguson 135
Hello all, I bought a 1970 massey Ferguson 135 with a perkins diesel. I bought it as "not running". I'm no diesel mechanic by any means but ain't scared to try. I started with changing the fuel filter and caught heck bleeding the air from the system. Finally got it bled as far as I know and got the tractor to finally start by spraying WD-40 into the intake while spinning it over. Had to spray a good bit until it caught up speed and would run on it's own. I let it sit and run for about 5 minutes or so to get some heat in things. 2 issues I found so far... it was pushing oil out of the dipstick tube and the front of the valve cover. Once started the oil gauge pegs out and stays there. Not sure what normal range is. Other issue Is when you throttle the tractor it starts missing and blowing black smoke and eventually clears up and revs up. Any ideas what could be wrong?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #2  
Black smoke is frequently an indicator of lack of air. This can also make a tractor difficult to impossible to start. If oil is pushing out the dipstick tube I'm guessing the crankcase is overfilled. It might be from oil being filled too high. On some tractors (don't know about Massey) the hydraulic pump is driven off the crankshaft. If the seal in the oil pump leads it is possible for hydraulic fluid to be dumped into the crankcase. Too much oil can cause the engine to hydrolock (or whatever the term is) with resultant bent connecting rods.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #3  
On a MF 135 you have to loosen one or two of the lines on the injectors to bleed it if it's run completely empty, there are no hydraulic pump on the engine except for power steering, might leak diesel from the feeding pump or injection pump in to the crankcase. Suppose you have checked oil level on the engine.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #4  
On my 135 I would get fuel to both bleeders on the injector pump then crack no 2 or no3 injector lines (best access) at the injector to get running.

Re the oil coming out the dipstick hole,2 possibilities: you may have broken piston rings, letting the crankcase get preassurised.
Do you have power steering on that tractor? Some were retro fitted with power steering. If so then the internal O ring seal can fail and dump oil from the power steering system into the engine oil, leading to an over full sump.

Oil preassure gauge, if it has oil in the gauge face CHANGE it as the oil preassure will cause the gauge face to explode in YOUR face . Mine did. Back in the day this was a known problem to mechanics.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #5  
I agree w the other posters.. CHECK THE OIL LEVEL FIRST..
If the oil is HI.. check it for FUEL in the oil.. those little CAV inj. pumps are know to blow the front seal in the inj. pump if left to sit..

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues
Black smoke is frequently an indicator of lack of air. This can also make a tractor difficult to impossible to start. If oil is pushing out the dipstick tube I'm guessing the crankcase is overfilled. It might be from oil being filled too high. On some tractors (don't know about Massey) the hydraulic pump is driven off the crankshaft. If the seal in the oil pump leads it is possible for hydraulic fluid to be dumped into the crankcase. Too much oil can cause the engine to hydrolock (or whatever the term is) with resultant bent connecting rods.
When I got it I changed the oil and filter so I know it wasn't overfilled. I even checked it again before I tried to crank it the other day and it was still the same as when I changed it. You mentioned lack of air, where would I check for passages? I checked the air cleaner for restrictions.

On my 135 I would get fuel to both bleeders on the injector pump then crack no 2 or no3 injector lines (best access) at the injector to get running.

Re the oil coming out the dipstick hole,2 possibilities: you may have broken piston rings, letting the crankcase get preassurised.
Do you have power steering on that tractor? Some were retro fitted with power steering. If so then the internal O ring seal can fail and dump oil from the power steering system into the engine oil, leading to an over full sump.

Oil preassure gauge, if it has oil in the gauge face CHANGE it as the oil preassure will cause the gauge face to explode in YOUR face . Mine did. Back in the day this was a known problem to mechanics.
There is no oil in the gauge. No the tractor has no power steering.

Thank ya'll for the help and advice and prompt replies

/ Massey Ferguson 135 issues #9  
Failed diaphragm in engine mounted fuel lift/hand primer pump will fill crankcase in just a minute, mine did it last year

Failed diaphragm in engine mounted fuel lift/hand primer pump will fill crankcase in just a minute, mine did it last year

Okay I'll check there too.