Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please #1  

rogdan

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC TLB
I will be taking a look at a 1547 that has HST and 4x4 with no attachments and was looking for advice on what to look for in this tractor, I guess I'm asking are there any weak spots?
The tractor has around 3000 hours on the clock and considering this and having no experience with HST what could I tell from the feel and function of it?
I hoped at 47 HP this would be a legitimate step up from my Farmtrac 360 DTC at 39 HP or are they too close?
Lastly what would be a ballpark price?

Thank for any and all feedback

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please #2  
I went from a 32 hp ford 1920 to 42hp mf 1742. Definitely a noticeable difference in lift capacity and pushing capacity. Haven't done any pto work but 10 hp increase has met my expectations. I can't help you with advice on the 1547. But 3000 hours seems like a lot for a cut. What is the asking price?

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please #3  
Loader?

What will you be using the tractor for?

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please
The hours concern me as well, I'm getting a $5,500-$6,000 feel on the asking price.
I planned to pull at least a 6' bush hog and plow the drive in the winter. I also need to drag firewood logs but I believe this is beyond what I should expect from a tractor this size, no loader.
Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please #5  
The hours concern me as well, I'm getting a $5,500-$6,000 feel on the asking price.
I planned to pull at least a 6' bush hog and plow the drive in the winter. I also need to drag firewood logs but I believe this is beyond what I should expect from a tractor this size, no loader.
Thanks

You won't even know a 6ft brush-hog is back there. What will you use to plow snow? A back blade or blower? Pulling logs... No problem.

I have the "updated" model to that tractor, same HP, and I've done all those things. It will be strong enough.

TSO,
I figured to use a back blade as some of the roads are gravel and the idea of 1/2 mile in reverse doesn't appeal to me although it may have front hydraulics despite not having a loader.
The ground is pretty steep here, how is yours for stability? How "crisp" is the HTS pedal any creep?
Thanks

TSO,
I figured to use a back blade as some of the roads are gravel and the idea of 1/2 mile in reverse doesn't appeal to me although it may have front hydraulics despite not having a loader.
The ground is pretty steep here, how is yours for stability? How "crisp" is the HTS pedal any creep?
Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please #8  
TSO,
Thanks

Stability is good....as good or better than any other CUT I've driven. The HST is good, you can creep along as slowly as you want.

Well I saw the tractor and it had once been a municipal machine so that is where the high hours came from, it was a little rough overall. I am admittedly not use to hydrostat but it seemed that you had to really have a heavy foot to get the tractor through it's paces. The turning radius was terrible as compared to my FT of about the same physical size. It has R4 tires so It will not have the traction I need for farm work but still an option for snow plowing with chains.

Anyone have an opinion on the value of this tractor?
Thanks for the replies

/ Massey Ferguson 1547 advice please #10  
Well I saw the tractor and it had once been a municipal machine so that is where the high hours came from, it was a little rough overall. I am admittedly not use to hydrostat but it seemed that you had to really have a heavy foot to get the tractor through it's paces. The turning radius was terrible as compared to my FT of about the same physical size. It has R4 tires so It will not have the traction I need for farm work but still an option for snow plowing with chains.

Anyone have an opinion on the value of this tractor?
Thanks for the replies

Points to consider with HST:

You need RPM's for operation. 1500-2000 will get you around, but 2000+ keeps the hydraulic pressure charged.

Low range for the grunt work, High range mostly just for road transport, and Med for everything else.

Like any machine, make sure you aren't making tight turns on hard surfaces with the front axle engaged.

I suspect that the travel felt "heavy" because you were either in the wrong transmission range, lacking hydraulic pressure from low rpm, or possibly even with the parking brake engaged?