Massey Ferguson 175 Hours

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #1  

MaFe175

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 175
I have a 1974 175 Massey Ferguson with 5255 Hours on it. I am curious if this is considered a lot of hours and what the life expectancy is as far as hours? It runs great and runs a 7 foot Rhino mower W/O difficulty to cut 19 acres of pasture six times during the season here in North Carolina. I bought it used in 1990.
Thank You

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #2  
If it's never been touched that's a low hour machine for a nearly 50 year old machine, just over 100 hours per year. If it has been properly serviced with decent oil & filters it "should" be good for 8,000+ hours. As long as it holds good oil pressure, no signs of blue smoke in the exhaust from worn rings you ought to be good for a good many years.

It's all about keeping them serviced with decent oil & filters whether by hours, or seasonal. Sounds like you're not working it hard, but hard enough you shouldn't have to worry too much about glazing the cylinders from puttering around which can cause oil usage, not leaks.

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #3  
I have a 2000 Kubota BX with 4500+ and still going strong and it had lots and lots of abuse. Mostly regular oil changes but I'm sure I missed some over the years.

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #4  
I have a 1974 175 Massey Ferguson with 5255 Hours on it. I am curious if this is considered a lot of hours and what the life expectancy is as far as hours? It runs great and runs a 7 foot Rhino mower W/O difficulty to cut 19 acres of pasture six times during the season here in North Carolina. I bought it used in 1990.
Thank You
If it makes you feel better, that’s ~145000 miles over 50 years or ~2900 miles per year. Barely broke in :giggle:

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #5  
Thank You

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #6  
Depends on what it's main job is. My 1974 MF175 has 19,000 hours with original Perkins 4.236. Spent it's first 40 years on a 300 acre farm in Oregon with original owner. I've been using it for my small logging operation. The FEL (4400 lb lift capacity) handles any 24" x 20 ft. green Doug Fir I throw at it. Just blew the head gasket last year. Fixin' to open her up in March.

/ Massey Ferguson 175 Hours #7  
Seems like you confirmed what I thought about the Perkins. They last forever.
A farmer once talked about his MF combine to me. He said, as long as there is oil in the engine, you can run them glowing hot and they still keep on going forever.