Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem #1  

diegosmom

Tractor
1978 Massey Ferguson Backhoe
We purchased this backhoe used..it worked fine..some kids tampered with it..my husband started it up and drove it for a few hundred yards and it just died..no pings or clangs or nothing..he found the oil filter removed and all twisted up..he tried dropping the diesel and the oil and put new in plus a new filter..still nothing..the engine was bone dry of oil..scared that the engine seized..is there anything we can do or look for? Any help would be appreciated!

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem
:)Please help us!

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem #3  
Welcome to tbn.

Chad

Welcome to tbn.

Chad

Thanks!!! Will probably be on this site more! Any ideas about my problem? Could the tranny be seized?

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem #5  
Thanks!!! Will probably be on this site more! Any ideas about my problem? Could the tranny be seized?

could it? sure? lots of things COULD have happened.

now. the filter you mentioned removed was it the crankcaseoil filter?

and if so.

I take it your machine does not have a functioning oil pressure gauge or lamp? as it should have warned about the low/no oil pressure.

now. i think i'd refill the oil and see if the starter will turn her over after it has sat.

if not, pull the oil pan and take a look at the rod shells. if they look bad.. so will the mains.

IF it did seize / weld the mains and rods to the crank, you MAY get lucky and polish the crank with some crocus cloth to remove any bearing material.. inspect for scratches.. look to see if any of the bearings spun, and then go back in with same size bearings that came out. maybee after that roll her over a bit and take a look at cyl liner walls..

post back

soundguy

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem #6  

could it? sure? lots of things COULD have happened.

now. the filter you mentioned removed was it the crankcase oil filter?

and if so.

I take it your machine does not have a functioning oil pressure gauge or lamp? as it should have warned about the low/no oil pressure.

now. i think i'd refill the oil and put a filter on.. press clutch and see if the starter will turn her over after it has sat.

if not, pull the oil pan and take a look at the rod shells. if they look bad.. so will the mains.

IF it did seize / weld the mains and rods to the crank, you MAY get lucky and polish the crank with some crocus cloth to remove any bearing material.. inspect for scratches.. look to see if any of the bearings spun, and then go back in with same size bearings that came out. maybee after that roll her over a bit and take a look at cyl liner walls..

post back

soundguy

Thanks a bunch! Will have a look this evening!

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem #8  
post back what ya find.

Will do...I just hope it is fixable..we only have a couple of weeks before we move in our new house and we need the backhoe for the driveway and for the dog house..also to make a dugout pond..we will probably need the landfill from the dugout...stupid kids on our property! The RCMP won't do anything about it either..they also broke into our pod storage facility..think I will be setting up some bear traps!

/ Massey Ferguson 1978 50hp Backhoe Problem #10  
be prepaired to do a lower end rebuild on that engine. IE.. main and rod bearings at a minimum, plus the pan gasket. it's possible the rings are bad from heating.. but maybee not.. if they are.. plan on rings and inspecting liners.

this could go from:

you got lucky and it's 120$ of bearing shells and a pan gasket

to

bearings, pan gasket, liners, pistons, rings, head rework, valves, cam, etc. plus machine shop work.

good luck. i'm rooting for ya! for just scuffed bearings.