massey ferguson 285

/ massey ferguson 285 #11  
Guess I have been lucky with mine. Going on 4 years with a loader and so far so good, knock on wood.

Mine gets started probably 50 times a day and unloading 36 crated disc mowers from a 40 ft container at full throttle for 2 -3 hours don't help the situation any. I think I am going to cut back the max engine rpm this spring. That should help some. Ken Sweet

/ massey ferguson 285 #12  
What a load of rubbish ..certain models and trannies maybe but no different to any other brand .

I agree 100%. I would put a MF up against any brand out there.:thumbsup:

/ massey ferguson 285 #13  
Mine gets started probably 50 times a day and unloading 36 crated disc mowers from a 40 ft container at full throttle for 2 -3 hours don't help the situation any. I think I am going to cut back the max engine rpm this spring. That should help some. Ken Sweet

Yea thats a lot of use. Hope cutting back on the rpms helps out. I work mine everyday but not like your doing.

/ massey ferguson 285 #14  
I think that re-checking the head torque after 50 & 100 hrs when a head gasket was replaced cut down big time on repeat failures. Some went as far as checking it every 100 hrs untill the proper spec was obtained.

/ massey ferguson 285 #15  
Have a MF S90 puller toy with 410 combine block, 318 5 inch crank, original head studs and Lawson 01420 hex high nuts, longer than stock nuts to help hold gasket better. Like the idea of nut and block threads both about same, original short nuts don't torque as well.

/ massey ferguson 285 #16  
The 285 is the pit bull of tractors. I have 1 in service on my farm in Penna.
Its powered with a Perkins 318cid 4cyl The head gasket problem is B/S
For the life of me I can understand way you would need to replace a head gasket each yr??? That mechanic that works for you SUCKS. There is no data or any info from Perkins about head gasket trouble., Unless it was run HOT.
The Perkins 318 was used in marine apps as well because of how well made the engine is.
Also was used in military gen sets, water pumps, Tug boats and so on.
I have 4500+hrs on my 285 Never Ever any problems with head gasket.
Take care of it and it will run for ever. Do not start it cold. Use the block warmer in winter. NO STARTER FLUID EVER!!!
And don't let that guys mechanic who does a head gasket ea yr mess with it. No disrespect,But he sucks.

/ massey ferguson 285 #17  
And don't let that guys mechanic who does a head gasket ea yr mess with it. No disrespect,But he sucks.

Listen man, you can have your opinion, but dont tell someone no disrespect & then tell them them they suck. Thats an oxy moron, and just plain rude. Everything thats man made can and will fail within certain parameters. Maybe you didn't read the whole post. He said he never had any trouble while farming, just since he started using it at his shop. THINK BEFORE TALKING

/ massey ferguson 285 #18  
i have a 285 mf has a lot of blow by and skips and puffs a lot of blue smoke could this be a head gasket?

/ massey ferguson 285 #19  
i have a 285 mf has a lot of blow by and skips and puffs a lot of blue smoke could this be a head gasket?

Usually you should smell the antifreeze in the exhaust smoke from a blown head gasket. What is the tractor history of oil consumption or oil in the water or water in the oil? Ken Sweet

/ massey ferguson 285 #20  
The 285 is the pit bull of tractors. I have 1 in service on my farm in Penna.
Its powered with a Perkins 318cid 4cyl The head gasket problem is B/S
For the life of me I can understand way you would need to replace a head gasket each yr??? That mechanic that works for you SUCKS. There is no data or any info from Perkins about head gasket trouble., Unless it was run HOT.
The Perkins 318 was used in marine apps as well because of how well made the engine is.
Also was used in military gen sets, water pumps, Tug boats and so on.
I have 4500+hrs on my 285 Never Ever any problems with head gasket.
Take care of it and it will run for ever. Do not start it cold. Use the block warmer in winter. NO STARTER FLUID EVER!!!
I agree.
We had 2 mf 698 turbo's that had 318's in them pushing out almost 100hp pto , One did 10'000 hrs opened once and the other blue smoked it's way to 14'000 hrs having never had the head off . Ether is fine if used properly these two had plenty of it :)

Attachments

• 309617-weet-niet-precies-massey-ferguson.jpg
    309617-weet-niet-precies-massey-ferguson.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,255