Massey-Ferguson 65

/ Massey-Ferguson 65 #1  

computerguy366

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 65
Hi all... my first post here and hoping someone has some possible insight to my issue...

I've got a Massey-Ferguson 65 as the title implies. It's always been an OK tractor and it's gotten me through a number of Wisconsin winters, plowing the driveway and such.

I've got a few issues with it, but I'll just detail a couple of my desperate problems now.

First, my most desperate need right now is to just keep it running for longer than 30-45 SECONDS....

It will start... and run for about 45 seconds... (it's always needed to warm up so it runs nicely) then it will just die. When I try to start it after that, it will crank all day, but won't fire again. If I walk away from it for 20 minutes, come back and try again, it will fire and start and run for another 30-45 seconds and die and not fire again... have to let it set again for 20 minutes until it will fire. A very frustrating situation.

I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and wires (they needed replacement) with no change. Spark plugs look ok. Is this an ignition coil problem? Does it need to be replaced? I'm at a loss here and gotta get it running and inside the shed (along with replacing a front tire) before it really starts snowing.

Secondly... eh, I'll leave the 2nd issue I was going to mention for another day. Gotta get this thing running.

Thanks for your time... I'm a computer guy... not a mechanic.. know some mechanics, but just the basics...

Regards,
Dusty

EDIT Just realized there's a specific forum for Massey Ferguson.. sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Last edited:
   / Massey-Ferguson 65 #2  
It sounds like it is starved for fuel.I would check to see if the filter is clean or replace it.

/ Massey-Ferguson 65 #3  
I have a MF65 gas with a continental engine. THis tractor will start everytme wiht a few tricks.

Unscrew your gas fuel bowel IT is glass on the left side of the tractor as you sit on it. JSut under the gas tank. THere will be a honeycomb filter attached via screw Remove this and clean it. Let a bit of fuel drain. THe knob turns the fuel off and aslo turns the reserve on/off. To get mine to stasrt after sitting I need to tap of the carb to get the float to unstick. I don;t think you have this issue. Aslo thepont swill corod after sitting and she will run rough jsut use apoint file.

If you need parts most farm n fleets carry the filter bowels and the gasket.

/ Massey-Ferguson 65
Thanks for the comment... like your signature! :)

That was a thought I had too... so earlier today I followed the fuel line down to the carburetor..

Stupid question... where is the fuel filter on the thing... All I could spot was the little glass dome there...

When I pull the plug out the bottom of the carburetor, I get fuel out the bottom, so I'm just confused about it...

/ Massey-Ferguson 65
I have a MF65 gas with a continental engine. THis tractor will start everytme wiht a few tricks.

Unscrew your gas fuel bowel IT is glass on the left side of the tractor as you sit on it. JSut under the gas tank. THere will be a honeycomb filter attached via screw Remove this and clean it. Let a bit of fuel drain. THe knob turns the fuel off and aslo turns the reserve on/off. To get mine to stasrt after sitting I need to tap of the carb to get the float to unstick. I don;t think you have this issue. Aslo thepont swill corod after sitting and she will run rough jsut use apoint file.

If you need parts most farm n fleets carry the filter bowels and the gasket.

Thanks Danocheese... I'll try this. I have taken the glass bowl off in the past, but I haven't done anything with that honeycomb filter. That may be the ticket.

Much appreciated.. I'll try that in the dark tomorrow nite when I get home from work. :)

/ Massey-Ferguson 65 #6  
everything I've heard so far says fuel starvation.. nuttin gettin to carb bowl to be sucked into engine... perhaps blocked tank tap, line or filter..

soundguy

/ Massey-Ferguson 65
Well, fuel was it.. thanks so much for all your input!!!!

The old Massey's purring better than it has in a looong time.

I'm still not sure why tho. I took the glass sediment bulb off, dumped the gas it contained back into the tank and looked for the screen/filter above it... nothing there. The valve dumps fuel right into that bulb, no filter.

Anyway, I cleaned just a little bit of smudge out of the bottom of the glass bulb, put it back on, cracked the valve to prime it with fuel before tightening the bulb on, tightened things back up, cranked the engine and it didn't quit again!

Made a slight adjustment on the carb, and with the new dist cap, rotor and wires, it's running about as good as I remember it ever ran.

Thanks again!!!!

Now... question number 2...

The throttle has always seemed to "automatically adjust". It's like it will run one rpm, and no other. If I pull the throttle lever down to crank up the rpm, it will run faster like it should, but if I let go of the throttle lever, the lever will automatically move back to idle...

I've been dealing with this for years but if there's a fix for this it would sure make shifting, steering and operating hydraulics levers all with one arm while the other one is holding the throttle a lot easier... sheesh!

Thanks again for your help.... flat tire is off and going with me to town tomorrow!

/ Massey-Ferguson 65 #8  
MY 65 does the same thing with the throttle. It will not stay wide open. I just got used to using my hands. You can get the screen and gasket for the bowel at farm and fleet. Also there is a fuel reserve on these tractors that I beleive casues issues. I would ahve to go outside and look at mine But you crank it partly back or all the way open for a reserve of fuel I think the valve closes in the wrong postion When you closed it to remove the sediment bowel the valve clears it self.

Anything for a fellow cheesehead and computer guy At least it was not a
ID TEN T Error

/ Massey-Ferguson 65
MY 65 does the same thing with the throttle. It will not stay wide open. I just got used to using my hands. You can get the screen and gasket for the bowel at farm and fleet. Also there is a fuel reserve on these tractors that I beleive casues issues. I would ahve to go outside and look at mine But you crank it partly back or all the way open for a reserve of fuel I think the valve closes in the wrong postion When you closed it to remove the sediment bowel the valve clears it self.

Anything for a fellow cheesehead and computer guy At least it was not a
ID TEN T Error

That throttle thing seems really strange.. put a pto on a tractor that you can't set the RPM at a constant speed??? weird...

lol nope, not an I D 10 T error.. thank goodness..

/ Massey-Ferguson 65 #10  
most tractor hand thorttles have some sort of friction disc / spring tension setup to keep the hand throttle where you put it.

follow your throttle linkange and see what you got.. I know my fords got them.. I suspect the MF'er does too ;)

soundguy