Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #1  

maheel

Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc2300
Hi everyone

We have a GC2300 at our little pony club that has bent the steering box bent brackets that hold the hydraulic unit.

I removed them, flattened them and reinstalled but it has done it again after a few hours use and actually seems worse.

Can anyone explain why it might do this ? I thought if it's turned to full lock it might push on the bracket but an unsure and cant figure out why it has happened....

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #2  
Have heard of those loosening up, but not sure what could cause them to get bent. Got any pics? On level ground, does the tractor track straight with hands off the steering wheel?

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(
bent plate .jpeg

Thanks for posting Irvingj i have been reading your posts :)

it looks a bit like its loose but it was bent both sides out about 10mm away from square.

it tracks or (or did) but the slop made me notice the issue in the steering its a shared tractor so not just one driver..... but i am now sort of in charge of looking after stuff

Here is a parts diagram, i also would have thought the tie rod end links would bend 1st if they had to if the ram just kept pushing. I will flatten again tomorrow but am trying to make sense of it 1st.

steering.JPG

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #6  
There was another topic I read recently, could have been an old one I found when doing research on steering ram locks. Someone else was having a similar issue. Actually I think it's come up several times. I can't find it now. From what I can remember there was some issue with early GCs and there was something about these being replaced. Maybe a maintenance bulletin or something like that. Also I remember something about them being installed backwards from the factor. I could be wrong, just going on what I remember reading about a week ago. Sorry I don't have more info for you other that this is a known issue on early GCs.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #7  
Looks like the only thing that holds that cylinder left-right is those two identical brackets. Have you seen the other one bent at all?
It looks like from the diagram that the only way this can happen is "too much steering force." I do not think the cylinder itself has the oomph to bend those brackets. Pretty well has to be excessive lateral force on the outer edge of the front wheels up at the level of the center of the hubs. How that happens = ?? One of you two operators is hitting something or moving with a lot of force against one or both front tires.

Any signs of impact or marks giving clues on the tires ? Rims ?

By the way, unless Massey redesigned the hardware showing in the post #5 diagram since the early GC's I don't see how it could have been an issue then and not now.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #8  
I can't say what has changed

The part# on mine is 6259310M2

The part# for the GC 2300 is 4265072M1 and is no longer available that I can find

I was just passing on something that I read in another topic. Like I said, I thought they may have said that there was either some kind of service bulletin or they were installed backwards or something like that. But then again how knows. Like I said I was doing research on steering ram locks and it was mentioned in something I read. For all I know it could be damage from getting banged, that boot on the tie rod end does not look to be in very good health.

I just looked at mine and I would also hazard a guess that front wheel alignment could play a part if it caused one wheel or both to put excessive inward pressure on the steering ram.

The back side of that bracket should be recessed so the that cylinder fits in and is held centered. If the cylinder came out of that recess it wouldn't take much jarring to bend the bracket. A slight bend is all it would take because the cylinder would not fit between the brackets if not seated in the recesses.

Thanks All

Just to clarify, both sides are bent "out" and yes i have seen the issue on another thread but not the solution or cause.

JWR - to much steering force may be it, say on near full lock and then wheels "pulling" or early lock is causing ''pushing" opposite on the ram bending the bracket.

Question / thoughts

If fulllock stops are "stopping to early" would the ram then push the opposite side bracket
eg: full lock left, cylinder pushes back on right hand bracket until ram stops pushing....

I have never adjusted these but it just crossed my mind....

Today i hope to
flatten them again (and order new ones). Thanks for current part number !!
reinstall and check full lock stops are correct
figure out whats going on....

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #10  
Question / thoughts

If fulllock stops are "stopping to early" would the ram then push the opposite side bracket
eg: full lock left, cylinder pushes back on right hand bracket until ram stops pushing....

I have never adjusted these but it just crossed my mind....
I think I know what you are talking about. There is a bolt on each side of the axle. There is nothing in the owners manual about these bolts, what they are for or how they should be adjusted.

I had thought that these were there to keep the wheels from turning too far, that they are designed to hit the axle to prevent turning to far.

I just looked at mine and at full lock they are at least half an inch between them and the axle housing so they are apparently serving no visible purpose.

Mine have never been adjusted, I can tell by the paint on them.

But if your ram is at already at full lock and you hit a bump that puts inward pressure on the wheel then the only outcome that I can envision is that the entire steering piston would be pushed toward the other side of the tractor.